Contrologix Processor Edit Number

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there anyway to determine via GSV instruction that edits occur in a 1756-L63 CPU?

We are having a timing problem with our Ignition application communicating the L63 plc.

Inductive automation have looked at the error log files and have noticed a "controller edit number" has changed , causing all the tags in the OPC-UA driver to be rescanned. Due to the complexity of our application , this rescan of tags takes 10 - 20 seconds, and if the PLC is sending triggers to Ignition, they are being missed.

I now need to trend this "edit number" as some of the tag rescanning occurs in the middle of the night when we are not at the job site.

Offhand I don't know of the interface to the "Edits Exist" status of a program, I don't see it listed anywhere under CONTROLLER or CONTROLLERDEVICE, nor anywhere else obvious.

What OPC server are you using?
Linx will respond to: @CLTagUpdateAddressSpace to cause it's internal tag scan list to be rebuilt, which can take some time.

Offhand I don't know of the interface to the "Edits Exist" status of a program, I don't see it listed anywhere under CONTROLLER or CONTROLLERDEVICE, nor anywhere else obvious.

What OPC server are you using?
Linx will respond to: @CLTagUpdateAddressSpace to cause it's internal tag scan list to be rebuilt, which can take some time.

The support guys at Inductive Automation are seeing this tag change with their built in OPC-UA driver. We know why this tage changes while we are here, programmers doing online edits, but does not explain why this tag is changing in the middle of the night when we are gone.

This is why i was looking for a way to capture and trend this tag, to ensure it was not changing on its own.

Get yourself a CF card, and enable controller logging....

"Logix5000 Controllers Information and Status"

Publication 1756-PM015C-EN-P - Chapter 3

You can listen in on the action of the v17 (and later) controller log using the GSV instruction to read the "ControllerLogExectionModificationCount" attribute of the Controller object. There doesn't even need to be a CF card present for that attribute to work.

This value increments each time an edit step is made (like Accept, Test, or Assemble) or a change is made to a Task or Program (like changing the Periodic Task Rate).

This might be what Ignition considers an "Edit Number". You'd have to ask their developers what object they monitor.

You would need a CF card installed, or something like the FactoryTalk Audit service running to figure out precisely what is happening (at least, if it's being logged).

Do not discount the possibility that one of the night-shift guys bought a cuddly little pet from a hard-to-find Chinese storefront and ignored the feeding instructions.

You can listen in on the action of the v17 (and later) controller log using the GSV instruction to read the "ControllerLogExectionModificationCount" attribute of the Controller object. There doesn't even need to be a CF card present for that attribute to work.

This value increments each time an edit step is made (like Accept, Test, or Assemble) or a change is made to a Task or Program (like changing the Periodic Task Rate).

This might be what Ignition considers an "Edit Number". You'd have to ask their developers what object they monitor.

You would need a CF card installed, or something like the FactoryTalk Audit service running to figure out precisely what is happening (at least, if it's being logged).

Do not discount the possibility that one of the night-shift guys bought a cuddly little pet from a hard-to-find Chinese storefront and ignored the feeding instructions.

Ken,
Thanks , thats exactly what I was looking for!
The online help file did not have this noted, so that is how I could not find it.