Math Formula in CompactLogix

smohamed

Morning everyone,

We've been given a formula for a relationship between flow and level for a treatment plant. The formula is complex in a math sense but can be solved.

The real question is: Can we put it into a PLC to solve? I am only familiar with a SQT function but this one seems a bit more odd.

Here is the formula:

L = (F/2.5)^2/5 * 12

We are attempting to solve for F (flow) where L = level.

Any ideas? I'm really scratching my head at this point.

Thanks!

OK seems that we just solved for F and used a few compute instructions and a square root function and the result was what we expected.

Thanks for everyone's help.

First step, lets combine all those constants to a single term.

Like Bernie, I saw some ambiguity about the equation.

Is it L = ((F/2.5)2)/5 * 12

Which can be dramatically simplified L = F2 * .384

or is it L = (F/2.5)(2/5) * 12,

Which can be simplified to L = F.4 * 8.31773812

From there its pretty simple to write a single CPT statement.

Sorry about the confusion. You are all correct, it can be simplified quite easily. I guess I looked at it initially and wondered if I could actually calculate it.

We ended up getting the results we were looking for.

Thanks again.