Help with Allen Bradley 1756

shannt

Hi,,
Im new to this forum, I have a machine that had an Allen Bradley 1756 LI with an EM 1756-LI programer, those modules are missing, machine was an assembly unit made in 2004, since those part numbers are no longer made and new ones so expensive I have found used ones on ebay but do not know how large the program is so there is a big diffrence in price to a EM 512k expansion to a 1.5 kb expansion unit, machine ,made in italy, trying to get a copy of the program, also have Panel View 1000's all this running with Devicenet with about 10 I/O modules , Help !!! thanks...moe...Oh i do habe a few floppy diskd that say Program for the machine also another that says programs for the Panel view 1000's but have no way to see if there courrupt is there any viewer I can download other then buying the AB Logix 5000 Service Edition???

Post the program here if you can and I will open it and ensure that it is not corrupt. It will be the one with the file extension RSS. The size of the program on the diskette will determine how much processor memory is needed. Normally the 512K is sufficient.

The 1756-L1 controllers were the very first generation ControlLogix CPUs and came out in 1997. They had a small amount of memory onboard, and you could add memory modules to them. The controller + memory module had a compound part number, like "1757-L1M1".

Check those floppies for a file with a *.ACD extension; that will be the ControlLogix program file. If you ZIP it and post it on the Forum, a member can open it and examine it for memory size, which will tell you which memory option to purchase.

Addendum:

RSLogix 5 project files for PLC-5 controllers have *.RSP file extensions.
RSLogix 500 project files for SLC-500 and MicroLogix controllers have *.RSS file extensions.
RSLogix 5000 project files for ControlLogix family controllers have *.ACD file extensions.

Because these "project files" include the tag database and logic descriptions and comments, cross-references, trend databases, the size of a *.ACD or *.RSS file on your hard drive does not necessarily correlate to the memory footprint of the user application in the controller. The only way to determine the controller RAM size is to perform an offline estimate or load and compile the program into a CPU.

Last edited:
The 1756-L1 controllers were the very first generation ControlLogix CPUs and came out in 1997. They had a small amount of memory onboard, and you could add memory modules to them. The controller + memory module had a compound part number, like "1757-L1M1".

Check those floppies for a file with a *.ACD extension; that will be the ControlLogix program file. If you ZIP it and post it on the Forum, a member can open it and examine it for memory size, which will tell you which memory option to purchase.

Addendum:

RSLogix 5 project files for PLC-5 controllers have *.RSP file extensions.
RSLogix 500 project files for SLC-500 and MicroLogix controllers have *.RSS file extensions.
RSLogix 5000 project files for ControlLogix family controllers have *.ACD file extensions.

Because these "project files" include the tag database and logic descriptions and comments, cross-references, trend databases, the size of a *.ACD or *.RSS file on your hard drive does not necessarily correlate to the memory footprint of the user application in the controller. The only way to determine the controller RAM size is to perform an offline estimate or load and compile the program into a CPU.

Sorry about the confusion. I was just working on a 500 program and had RSS on the brain. ;) Ken is correct in that it would be ACD file.

Hi everyone can you please advised me with my problem with my SLC05/03
(1747-L532E)Controller and PV550 communication.

My SLC05/03 got damaged that's why I have to changed with new CPU.
My 1747-PIC driver Isn't working so I used channel 0 RS232 port to download new program for the new SLC05/03 CPU my Panel View 550 originally connected to SLC05/03 CPU in channel 0 RS232 port.

After downloading new program in the CPU and when I put back the connection of Panel View 550 to the CPU through the RS232 port now the problem comes in the Panel view it's showing error.
612 NO ACTIVE NODES FOUND ON NETWORK.
I checked the communication settings of Panel View through display configuration It's showing
Maximum Nodes = 2
Node address = 2
Baud Rate = 19,200

SLC05/03 CPU setting of channel 0
Driver = DF1 Full Duplex
Baud = 19,200
Parity = None
Stop bits = 1
No handshaking
CRC
Embeded Responses = Enabled

Thanks

Channel 0 must be changed from DF1 to DH485 while offline then re-downloaded. After that you will be able to use the PIC driver from your PC as well as connect the Panelview.

Thanks Bernie, I did what you suggest to changed channel 0 configuration from RS232 Full duflex to DH485 and it works now may Panel View 550 communicate with my SLC05/03 no 612 error anymore

Again thanks Bernie...

Hi everyone can anyone give me adviced what cable I need to use to upload my Panel View 550 program to my laptop to modify the program.

Thanks
Edwin Mandayao

Hi everyone can anyone give me adviced what cable I need to use to upload my Panel View 550 program to my laptop to modify the program.

Please provide us with the complete catalog number of your PV and does your laptop
have a real serial port ?

Hi Mickey,

Please see below complete catalog of my panel view:

Panel View 550
CAT SER REV FRN
2711-T5A5L1 B B 4.41

Yes my laptop have serial port and I'm using that serial port to communicate to SLC05/03 processor because my 1747-PIC DRIVER is not working.