Cable for Siemens Siemens TP270-6

Thank you,

I have the cable but I still cannot connect.
How can I check (and change) communication
settings? One of our guys created bunch of connections
"My Connection", "My Connection2" etc. and now he is
out of reach (cannot call him). Where are they
(connections) stored? I can change from one to another
using control panel > communication etc. but how do
I edit them? Can manual be downloaded from web or I have to
wait till my package arrives? (I'd like to set it up now...)

Regards

Panicmode,

from the Siemens number you mention I guess you don't need an RS232 cable, but a RS232-MPI converter. I'll check it out monday when I'm in teh office.

Kind regards,

There are several ways to download applications to the OP/TP panels:

Via MPI: You need the serial/MPI converter or the CP5511 card or other MPI communications hardware.
You will have to set up the MPI port on the OP/TP for MPI: Start the Win CE Control Panel and select Transfer . Set up channel 2 for MPI and select Enable Channel .
The default settings for MPI are node=1, baudrate=187.5kbps.

Via Serial: You need any 9-pin/9-pin null-modem cable. Plug it into your PC and IF2 on the OP/TP. No setup changes are necessarry on the OP/TP.
Notice: Other communication software (like RSLinx with DF1 set up). can hook your PCs serial port and block you from downloading via serial.

In Protool you have to set up the download settings to match the OP/TP.

Before starting download from Protool, set the OP/TP in transfer mode.
If there is no hotkey setup for this, power down and restore power to the OP/TP. When starting up it will allow you to select transfer mode (or control panel).

Tip: To ease the navigation of the OP/TP put a mouse in the onboard USB port !

Tip 2: Put a button on the OP/TP to trigger transfer mode (function Change Mode with parameter Download). This will greatly ease making and downloading changes to the OP/TP. Protool can also switch the panel to transfer mode. But I have found this to be unreliable.

Last edited:
Sorry it took me this long to come back, but I had network troubles at the office, so I could not reach the internet.

Now for this thread: the cable mentioned (part# 6ES79011BF000XA0) is in fact a 9-pin null-modem cable to be used between the PC/MPI or the TS/MPI converter and the PC. So it should be possible to use it to connect the PC and IF2 on the OP/TP. So use the cable with the method Jesper explained.

Kind regards,

Thanks everyone,

We were trying to use RS232 with null modem cable - not the MPI
interface. Jvdcande and James W. McLachlan have suggested that the part number I've posted might be for MPI (6ES79011BF000XA0)
I don't think this is case because Siemens site was listing them as:
6ES7901-1BF00-0XA0 RS 232 cable, connection for PCs, Teleservice and HMI
When TP is started it comes with 4-button menu etc. we select transfer mode, select speed in Protool and click on transfer.
Both TP and PC are attempting to communicate but they never connect.
Another colegue who started all this is on a service trip
out of country and I don't know how did he create those connections
("My Connection", "My Connection2", "MyConnection3" etc)
and what are settings because I need to match them in Protool.
(port 1 or 2, speed, ...). I've read somewhere the speed to PC
is set to 19.2kbps and I didn't try both ports but maybe
that's what I'm gonna try now... 🔨 ;p

I dont know about that particular cable.
Check that the pins 2 and 3 are "crossed" (only the following pin connections are required: 2-3, 3-2, 5-5). An AB 1747-CP3 cable will also do !
Check that it is in port IF2 on the OP/TP.
Check that no other communication driver is hooking the COM port on the PC.

It shouldnt matter what speed you select, the OP/TP automatically detects the speed. But I would pick a fast one (115200 bps).

Where do you see these "my connection"s ? Maybe you are looking on the PLC to OP/TP connection (under Controllers). Thats the wrong place ! The transfer settings are set under File..Download..Preferrences .
Check that serial and the proper COM port is selected.

I just noticed on your second post that you said it was under control panel..communication .
Hmmm.. it says "Warning: Changing the connection may disable communications with your desktop computer".
I think the default connection name is "Desk_115200". That it now says "my_connection" does not look good !
Is there a checkmark in Enable direct connection to the desktop computer ?

edit: I dont know any reason why someone would need to change the connection settings under control panel..communication.

If all else fails:
Get a USB-to-USB cable. The type with a block in the middle and a wide flat connector at both ends.
Then download from Protool with USB selected under Download..Preferrences .

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all replies and specially Jasper. Here is some followup
since this thing still refuses to transfer...

I had some time today to look into it and actually everything is
supposed to be very simple and straight forward.

Display boots up and loads some demo. Once you exit there is little
launch bar with four buttons. Clicking on Transfer button will
make display wait for Protool signal. Easy... :rolleyes:

Clicking on:

Taskbar > Programs > Communication > Remote Networking \

you can see (and edit if needed) all present connections.
Configuration and transfer are using COM2, while COM1
(IF1A and IF1B) is to be used with PLC. Very simple...

Now you go to:

Control Panel > Communication > PC Connection

and select one of the connections defined under "remote networking".
There is one checkbox to "Enable direct connection to the desktop computer".

Default connection was "Default_115200" which in our case was
already modified to use different baud rate (19200,8,Hardware,1stop)
but this should not be a problem now that I know what is the setting.

There is one more thing about transfer:

Control Panel > Transfer > Transfer Setting

This window has settings for:

Channel_1 (serial)
[ ] Enable Channel
[ ] Remote Control

Channel_2 (MPI/Profibus/Ethernet)
[ ] Enable Channel
[ ] Remote Control

It looks like this is the PLC interface (COM1 or Ethernet) so
it shouldn't matter at this moment.

I tried all combinations while varying following (just for the heck of it):
- crossover cables (simple 3-wire null-modem, 1746-CP3, version
from Mr. RRobins which is at the top of this tread etc.)
- Handhsaking (none, hardware, software)
- baud rates (19200, 38400 and 115200)
- COM ports 1 and 2 (the TP270 display)

Siemens tech guy suggested rebooting display after each change
but this didn't do anything either. I am positive that all
I did was just fine. I am suspecting problem in either Protool
(it's latest version, so it's hard to beleive) or the display
itself (maybe dead com port). If anyone should have any other
suggestion, please shoot... ;)

Last edited:
Just a little tought i dont know if i has something do to with your problems but i once tried to make a serial connection to a TP170B with my old Dell laptop and it dident work. Tried another laptop and everything worked fine. Later i discovered that the voltage on the comport was to low and thats why the connection dident work. Talked to Dell about this and the confirmed that their laptops have a low voltage on the comports.

bratt has a good point there. This problem can also come on a laptop that is powered from the battery only. Some laptops will try to save power by lowering the voltage on the serial port.

I dont have a OP/TP 270 at hand, so I cant check these communication settings that you mention.

One important point: It is not necessarry to change the settings on the OP/TP to match the serial mode download settings in Protool. The OP/TP will automatically adapt to the Protool settings (well, at least normally it does).
From factory the Transfer settings for Channel 1 (serial) are enabled !
Put checkmarks in both Enable Channel and Remote Control.

What to do:

1. Enable the serial port as described.

2. Try to install Protool on another PC (desktop).

3. Try to get the OP/TP back to factory defaults. If you cannot restore the exact settings then maybe Siemens can email you a good imagefile. You put the image file on a CF card and load it onto the OP/TP with the Backup/Restore function.

4. Use a USB cable to download the application.

5. Get another TP270.

NB: IF you actually succeed in making the connection, then a speed of 19200 bps will result in a VERY long time for the first download. This because both Win CE, all libraries, and finally your application will be downloaded.

Last edited: