G3 Crimson Multiple HMI running same program

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
Sorry if this topic is already in here, by I couldn't find the magic combo in google to get me the answer.

If I have a Red Lion G3 talking to an AB L35E over ethernet, can I simply buy another identical G3, download the same exact program, give the new G3 a different IP address, and put both of them on the network with no issues?

Can anyone give some cautions against doing this?

Thanks.

Sorry if this topic is already in here, by I couldn't find the magic combo in google to get me the answer.

If I have a Red Lion G3 talking to an AB L35E over ethernet, can I simply buy another identical G3, download the same exact program, give the new G3 a different IP address, and put both of them on the network with no issues?

Can anyone give some cautions against doing this?

Thanks.

Yes, I've done it several times. You have pointed to the only caution I can think of - just make sure that the G3s have different IP addresses and it will work great.

It depends on what types of controls and functions you are using.

If all of your buttons are momentary, normally open type, then there would probably not be any issues.

You would want to look very closely at the application for things that might end up creating a fight for control between the two HMI units.

What happens if, for example, there are push button actions with normally closed as the type...will one of the HMIs try to write a one to that value as soon as the screen is selected? Or will it only happen when the button is actuated?

What about scripts that write/read PLC addresses...are you doing anything with user programs that might cause problems if one HMI is power cycled or replaced and restarts while the other one is being used?

It depends on what types of controls and functions you are using.

If all of your buttons are momentary, normally open type, then there would probably not be any issues.

You would want to look very closely at the application for things that might end up creating a fight for control between the two HMI units.

What happens if, for example, there are push button actions with normally closed as the type...will one of the HMIs try to write a one to that value as soon as the screen is selected? Or will it only happen when the button is actuated?

What about scripts that write/read PLC addresses...are you doing anything with user programs that might cause problems if one HMI is power cycled or replaced and restarts while the other one is being used?

Nope - none of your concerns will be a problem because of the way the the G3 reads the status of a register (or address). It will only do writes when there is a change from operator (or G3 program) input.

It will always read the status and display that value.

I have three displays talking to 3 controllers. You can start and stop devices and change control and setpoints from any of them. The only issue would be if two operators were changing the same point to *different* values at the same time. Whoever got there *last* would be successful.

One tip: If the two (or more) screens are almost identical but need to have minor differences, you can still get by with only one Crimson file. Use the GetNetIP() function to affect the operation based on the IP address. For example, the expression
Right(GetNetIp(0),3)=="221"
will return true if the last 3 digits of the IP are 221. Use it to control visibility of objects or whatever.

Would using gateway blocks in one hmi to communicate with other G3 HMI's keep communications to the the end device (PLC, ect...) more efficient?

Has anyone ever tried this?