Access Remote OPC Data via Excel

Im trying to get some OPC data from wonderwares DASABTCP server. If I use excel on the local machine running the DAServer, I have no problem with something like. =DASABTCP|Furnace1!'N10:2' But, I cant seem to figure out how to make it work remotely. Ive tried things like =\\PCName\DASABTCP|Furnace1!'N10:2' or =\\192.168.1.100\DASABTCP|Furnace1!'N10:2' But they doesnt work. Any pointers? I cant seem to find anything relevant on the net. Thanks matt

I spent some time reviewing my notes and weblinks, but I couldn't find anything solid. Your addressing scheme looked rigth to me. =\\PCName\.. Did you try to ping the PC with the server from your computer with the Excel workbook? How about the other way? Can you set up a simple OPC client on the PC with the OPC Server PC? I wonder if you have some firewall headaches? It's been a while since I did any OPC work. Are you sure wonderware DASABTCP server ofters remote PC connections?

kb9ttx, I dont have any firewalls running on these 2 PCs, and I can ping back and forth from both pcs, using the PC name as well as the IP address. To me, it seems that when its =DASABTCP it assumes its a program, but when I put it \\PCName, it thinks DASABTCP is a directory instead of an application. Good idea, maybe dasabtcp wont serve remote OPC calls. Ill confirm with wonderware. matt

Yes, but they are not part of the same workgroup. They are on separate subnets as well (1 is the PLC subnet, the other the office LAN). Will look into DCOM some, and I am awaiting a response from WW on dasabtcps ability to allow remote or not. matt