USB to DH485 Programming Cable

jkerekes

What is a good USB to DH485 programming cable that someone could recommend? I would need it to work in VMware running XP Pro SP3. What about Windows 7 Pro 64 bit support too? Thanks to all.

AB has an adapter, but it's about as convenient as a 20 pound dinner fork. I'd strongly recommend getting a 1761-NET-ENI, giving it a fixed IP address and using it to access any SLC or Micrologix through their serial ports. You'll also need a 9-pin D-SUB x 8-pin for SLC and a 8-pin x 8-pin for Micrologix. Pricey way to start, but well worth it in the long run.

The Allen-Bradley adapter is the 1747-UIC.

It works perfectly in VMWare, and even in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with RSLinx Classic version 2.57. Virtually no other software works with 64-bit Windows, so I prefer strongly to run everything in VMWare with XP guest operating systems.

A NET-ENI wouldn't work for me. I need something that works on many different systems for many different customers. Something portable and not permanently attached. It also would need to work with SLC 500/1 and 500/2 which don't have (unfortunately) have a serial port.

Ken, the 1747-UIC is $ 329.00 list. I know that's cheap for Rockwell, but are there any other options by third parties?

Thanks Mickey...

Our aftermarket UIC's work great on XP service pack 3 and Windows 7 64 or 32 bit, I run them straight from the machine (no VM's) but I am sure they would work fine

On a 64bit machine you need to use DF1 driver in RSLinx as the UIC's are not incuded (not loaded) but it works great all the same

If you get mine or AB's I have wrote a procedure on how to configure it and can email it if you need it

Regards!!

Mark:

That looks like what I want. Now if I could find a similar product for DH+ and ControlNet, that would be great!

Mark:

That looks like what I want. Now if I could find a similar product for DH+ and ControlNet, that would be great!

I have tried... no can do, DH+ is not just a normal data. You have to buy the rights and you can not just copy it

I do have these ----> HERE

A case where marketing trounces engineering. Fortunately, DH+ is going away. But I still will need to support it for quite a while.