RS500 "trick" not working in RS5000

DairyBoy

Good day all. A little trick that I was once shown was to "shift+dn arrow" to select rungs and copy/paste them into Word. In this environment the text representation of the logic can be changed using find/replace and then the modified result pasted back into the apropriate place in RS500. Brilliant! However... RS5000 doesn't respond the same way (no pick-up on copy). Anyone know how to do this in RS5000? Saves loads of typing. Thanks.

It's probably not as good as what you want to do... since I used to do the same thing in RS500 myself.

However, you can copy each rung one at a time... which is no fun for a large cut and paste job.

You could export the rungs into an L5X file, edit them in notepad, and then re-import them. I've done that once or twice, but not as often as I did with the RS500 cut and paste feature.

Thanks kb9ttx. Yes, I had realised that it could be done one at a time (no thanks!) and I had used the export facility too, but the file contains everything in the subroutine so any find/replace action would make a mess of the whole thing. Shame. I'm new to 5000 but starting to find quite a few retrograde aspects to the editor. (n)

I must be just missing something here – but are you sure that you can't select a range of rungs with the Shift and Down-Arrow keys in exactly the way that you described? ... that way works for me – at least with RSLogix 5000 version 16 ...

true – the rung numbers don't change to a highlight color (red or blue) like in RSLogix 500 – but the software does display a bold border/box to indicate which rungs are being selected ...

then if I right-click on the selected range, I can indeed Copy and then Paste the rungs into something like Notepad ...

note that in RSLogix 5000 there are some places where the Ctrl-C shortcut for Copy doesn't work ... try Right-Click instead ...

incidentally, if it's the Pasting-Back-In part that's giving you trouble, try opening the "Text Editing" feature in the "Neutral Text" mode ... the ASCII mode is easier to read – but the Pasting part doesn't work as well ...

feel free to ignore this post if I've just misinterpreted what you're actually trying to accomplish ...

rung_range.JPG

Double-click on blank rung to enter "Text-Editing" mode then you can select "Neutral Text" mode and right click on entry area and paste then click green check-mark.

PasteNeutralText.JPG

I think the OP is referring to how in RSLogix 500 if you selected multiple rungs and then copied them and then pasted into MS Word, you would get the ASCII text code which you could then modify and then copy and paste back into RSLogix.

This does not appear to work in RSLogix 5000. However, it does work if you use Notepad instead of MS Word.

OG

That's it, Ron (last post). Thanks very much. 🍻
I am officially a very happy bunny!

:site:

Last edited: