Disable LAN

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I have been looking for a solution to a problem of mine and figured someone here may have an answer.

My Wired and Wireless connections clash if I try using them at the same time so I constantly need to disable my "Local Area Connection".

It is a hassle to go thru all of the steps. I have tried looking for commands using a BATCH file using NETSH commands but have not found anything that works.

Has anyone ran into this issue before?

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit

Any ideas?

How do they clash? Are they on different networks? I routinely have three network connections at once active. You can even set a registry key to make WinXP route.

I also do netsh commands to change adapters back to default...

Example from a batch file:

REM Reset built-in LAN card to DHCP to be compatible with corporate network

netsh interface ip set address name="LAN" source=dhcp
netsh interface ip set dns name="LAN" dhcp

If I have my wireless enabled my wired will not work until I disable my wired. And vice versa.

They are on different VLANS
###.###.1.### vs ###.###.8.###

I have batch files to change my IP, subnet, and Gateway. Similar to the one you have shown. But nothing to toggle my "Local Area Connections"

when your wired network is not connected . you dont even need to disable as the lan cable is unplugged .If you dont need wireless just switch off the Wlan switch on your laptop. I hope i understood what you mean

Your company probably has a GPO that prevents 2 simultaneous connections.
Enabling routing with a wireless and wired while on a corp network is anything but a good idea, even at home it's an unwise choice, unless you don't care. Just having both enabled and connected at the same time could be a bad idea. All anyone needs is a decent connection to your wireless and in 10 minutes maybe less, they've infected your network or stolen those pics you promised your wife you would delete.

Try Devcon from MS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
You'll just have to look at the device manager and locate the dev id's.
Then "devcon disable *DEV_**** " .

Do you have gateways setup on both connections?
Typically my wireless does not have a gateway, and depeding on what machine I'm on the wirless may.

robertkjonesjr - Thanks for the link I'll check it out

bornwild said:
when your wired network is not connected . you dont even need to disable as the lan cable is unplugged .If you dont need wireless just switch off the Wlan switch on your laptop. I hope i understood what you mean
The issue is hard to explain. Switching Off the WLAN is usually what I have to do, previously they worked together so I could work on a machine (wired) and still have internet access (wireless). Currently if I have wireless turned on I cannot access any PLCs on my wired connection until I toggle it. Occasionally I will have an issue getting to the internet thru my wireless until I toggle my wired "Local Area Connection"

I am starting to confuse my self :(

todster said:
Your company probably has a GPO that prevents 2 simultaneous connections.
Enabling routing with a wireless and wired while on a corp network is anything but a good idea, even at home it's an unwise choice, unless you don't care. Just having both enabled and connected at the same time could be a bad idea. All anyone needs is a decent connection to your wireless and in 10 minutes maybe less, they've infected your network or stolen those pics you promised your wife you would delete.

Try Devcon from MS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
You'll just have to look at the device manager and locate the dev id's.
Then "devcon disable *DEV_**** " .

Thanks I will check this out also.

Just tried this today. Worked great. NetSetMan Was recommended by an engineer doing some work here. But, free for home use, cheap for business use. So I found an alternative. NetProfilesSetup_2-1-8.exe, it is GPL.

You can setup any number of profiles ( diff. IP Addresses to switch to).

George

Last edited: