Modem into a DH485 Network??

Thilgs

Just wondering if anyone has had success trying to modem into a DH-485 network. Since RS-Linx only seems to support modems over DF1, I'm thinking about an alternative.

Could I use two external modems and a USB adapter(1747-UIC) to do the connection. I would run the USB adapter to the RS232 connection over to the serial port on an external modem (Sixnet?), then dial out using a handset (instead of computer modem) to connect to another external modem with it's serial port connected to the serial port on an AIC+ adapter, which gets me into the network. I'm guessing the hardest part would be ensuring that the connection stays active on both modems.

Anyone have any thoughts?? I'm hoping someone might have an easier solution? Thanks.

I couldn't even follow the chain of ideas there... backwards through a USB/RS232 converter then through a handset... but then I got to "Modem to AIC+" and that I understood.

As my previous posts, cited by Mickey, said: DH-485 absolutely cannot work with any sort of modem. It's got to be DF1.

Your best bet is to use a standalone DF1/DH485 interface or use the venerable 1747-KE module in an SLC-500 chassis.

This third-party device from EquusTek is probably the simplest way to do this if you don't have a SLC chassis handy:

http://www.protocolconverter.com/product_GW1000-DH4851.html

Comment: Don't feel bad if you can't follow the feature/model combinations from EquusTek. The website descriptions are FUBAR; get a printed data sheet and confirm in person before purchasing.

I was afraid of the timing issues. The customer insisted on 5/03 processors. We have one master 5/03 and 4 slave 5/03 communicating over DH485. They were hoping I could tie into the AIC+ installed in all panels to remotely program the units.

If I remember correctly, there is no way to pass through either, if I were to add an ethernet or DF1 port to the Master Rack.

Thanks for your help guys.

Actually, the SLC-5/03 does support DF1 to DH485 Passthrough.

The controller has to be relatively modern; this feature was added in OS302 FRN8 in 2004 or so. The status bits S:34/0 and S:34/5 both have to be set =1 for passthrough to work, and you configure RSLinx as though it was connected to a 1747-KE.

RA Knowledgebase document 26885 has a good example of using Passthrough with MSG instructions.

The only way to get EtherNet/IP to a SLC is to make it a 5/05 or to bridge DF1 to EtherNet/IP. AB does this with the NET-ENI but it’s gotten a bad reputation for reliability problems. Data-Linc Group builds a device called the NET620 that also does this and is very reliable. However, the only problem is that this means you’ve tied up the DF1 port on the processor and there isn’t any way to add additional DF1 ports to SLC processors. With that said, if you bridged all of the SLC’s in your system to EtherNet/IP then you shouldn’t need any DF1 ports (without knowing your architecture). Now, with all of that said, 5/05’s is really the best way to go if you’re going to stick with SLC’s and then you get to keep your DF1 ports.