4-20 ma splice

Tom@Pton

I have a customer that needs (wants) to splice a 4-20ma loop. Distance is about 1/4 mile. Direct bury, new installation. I suggested no splice but am wondering if there is a good way to make one, if he decides to procede.

I have a customer that needs (wants) to splice a 4-20ma loop. Distance is about 1/4 mile. Direct bury, new installation. I suggested no splice but am wondering if there is a good way to make one, if he decides to procede.

Soldered joints then a good tape job on each joint. Then use 3 M Scotchcast resin system - available at your friendly electrical distributor.

If mine since I hate direct bury I would
run conduit and do splice in a surface accessible J box. Leave couple feet in box to do future repair splices. Seems overkill I know but I have never had to go back and repair when I do it this way.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
I watched the telephone guy splice their underground cable running from the road to my house; the middle of a 300 foot run, back in 1990's.

They used a splice kit with copious amounts of very sticky goopy stuff (roofing tar?) that served as a water barrier. They covered all parts of the splice with the goop. It's still functional, now, 15 years later.