OT: What is this thing?

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
From the cover of the March edition of Plant Engineering Magazine...
http://e-ditionsbyfry.com/Olive/ODE/PLE/Default.aspx?href=PLE/2011/03/01

It looks like some huge high voltage filter stack at first glance, but on looking, the hat rings seem to have electronics boxes inside of them, and the ceiling and equipment spacing looks too small for anything over maybe 50 to 100 KV.

It is definitely high voltage stuff.

The round metal rings on the outside are for controlling the electrostatic field, so that there will be no corona discharge.

Not sure what is on the inside. Could be a high voltage rectifier.

It is definitely high voltage stuff.

The round metal rings on the outside are for controlling the electrostatic field, so that there will be no corona discharge.

Not sure what is on the inside. Could be a high voltage rectifier.

It just seems the spacing would be way off... too close for very high voltages. Our DC HV Test sets do have rectifier stacks, but none with hats on them. (Hats being the 'no-pointy-surface' rings).