6 Turns of the Hand

The Plc Kid

So I am updating our plant 1 line diagrams in Etap and have been doing so for several months now. I somehow always leave the best for last and in this case mean the old stuff.
These old prints are ancient and working with them is making think that I should have majored in paleography as well as engineering.

On prints that show a lot of main feeders and switch gear I see it marked “ Meet 6 Turns of the Hand Requirement” so I am trying to figure out WTH that means? Any ideas?
I asked all the guys that have been here some years and that have been in the trade a long time and no one has a clue.

This almost never happens but google let me down on this one.

Without going into the code very much, you can't have any more than 6 moves of the hand to kill the power to a location or panel (Not sure on that point exactly). But it is refering to and NEC reuirement, try checking a code site. Like http://forums.mikeholt.com/ Have a good day, it Friday.

This sounds like "Article 225 — Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders", ie, Service Equipment. This is not about what are commonly called Sub-Panels or inside branch circuits.

Code:
225.33 Maximum Number of Disconnects
(A) General The disconnecting means for each supply per-
mitted by 225.30 shall consist of not more than six switches
or six circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure, in a
group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard.
There shall be no more than six disconnects per supply
grouped in any one location.
The above is just some of the code, there are more sections that need to be read and considered.

Remember, the NEC is a minimum set of safety rules, not a design giude. Some plants may implement additional more stringent rules.