Tight space simple requirements & need some equipment suggestions

xprtcp

Warning, I know very little about PLCs! THIS IS A LONG POST IN AN ATTEMPT TO FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES

(I suspect there is an answer here somewhere, and I have found some great leads by searching it, but the site is sooooooo big.)

I am looking for a recommendation for a timer or PLC/PLR.

This equipment will be installed in a NEMA 4X box with a bunch of bare cards. There is NOT a lot of space for relays and wires. Perhaps 1ft^2 or 30cm^2. That is why a minimum number of parts is a goal. Not to mention that the fewer parts, the lower the labor costs and failure rate due to connections.

The requirement is simple and can easily (sort of) be done with relays.
|                                                           |
|______/_(signal 1)_______O_(R1)___|
| | |
| |_[T]__O_(sv)___|
| |
|________/_(R1)___________O_(1)____|
| |
| |
|______/_(signal 2)_______O_(R1)___|
| | |
| |_[T]__O_(sv)___|
| |
|________/_(R1)___________O_(1)____|
| |
| |
|______/_(signal 3)_______O_(R1)___|
| | |
| |_[T]__O_(sv)___|
| |
|________/_(R1)___________O_(2)____|
| |
| |
|______/_(signal 4)_______O_(R1)___|
| | |
| |_[T]__O_(sv)___|
| |
| |
| |
|______/_(signal 5)_______O_(R1)___|
| | |
| |_[T]__O_(sv)___|
| |
| |
| |
|______/_(signal 6)_______O_(R1)___|
| | |
| |_[T]__O_(sv)___|
| |
| |

Legend:
signal = 120VAC from a contact closure in another device. Since it is a simple contact closure it does not have to be 120VAC, that is simply how it is wired before adding this equipment.
__/__ = NO contact
__O__ = Coil
_[T]_ = timer
_(1)_ = external relay coil
_(sv)_ = solenoid valve coil

Operation:

There are six "signals".

There are two different devices that are controlled by R1. Four signals control one and two signals control the other.
The devices are relays.

There are also six solenoid valves (sv) that open when the time after the relays are closed has elapsed. One valve is for each signal.

The signals only arrive one at a time. They will arrive more than ten seconds and up to hours apart.

The relay 1 activates instantly. The timer [T] delays the activation of the (sv) for a fixed amount each time (about 4 seconds +/- 1 or so, but needs to be field adjustable by hand or laptop at the device).

Each circuit may remain active for several minutes but it is unlikely that they will all be active at the same time for more than five minutes. But it is possible that they might all run concurrently several times a year. Again, they will never start at the same moment. They will only remain active for fifteen minutes max and usually less.

When the signal goes away the relays open.

Specifications:

All voltages are 120VAC
The relay is <1A
The sv is rated 5A inductive (a fluke shows ~1A when it is pulled closed).

While space is a limitation, I have done it with 12 ice cube relays and six timers. It looked a mess with them in various locations around the circuit boards but it is working for now.
Six of the relays were because the timers could not handle the valve inrush.

I was thinking about using something like the TECO SG2-20HR-A with snubbers on the contacts to protect them from the solenoid valves' coil's spikes. Perhaps snubbers are a good idea whatever is used?

Is a SNUB0000 a suitable device for a snubber? (Look at Red Lion) The voltage rating worries me.

I think that there are time delay relays with separate instant contacts that would do the job too, but I don't know part numbers. Then there is the problem of space and wiring with them too.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and time.

Last edited:
Check out Automation Direct Click series. They are small, and the software is free. I would think one PLC costs less than all your relays, and your labor will be a fraction of what it is now once you work out the program. Build your program with ladder logic based on your diagram above, the forum can give you more help once you get rolling on the programming.

I agree that a micro-brick PLC is the only way to go here, and would 2nd the Click recommendation (although I have never used one). And, use small terminal block sized interposing relays with >=5amp contacts and at least enough load to allow triac outputs (if used) to turn off.

That should make for a nice tidy panel, and a superior end result.

I agree that a micro-brick PLC is the only way to go here, and would 2nd the Click recommendation (although I have never used one). And, use small terminal block sized interposing relays with >=5amp contacts and at least enough load to allow triac outputs (if used) to turn off.

That should make for a nice tidy panel, and a superior end result.
Would this be a suitable relay? http://www.weidmuller.com/system/files/webfm/downloads/pdfs/ca_datasheets/SIP05_RSHV-AC_Interposing_Relay_with_Leakage_Current_Immunity.pdf

Check out Automation Direct Click series. They are small, and the software is free. I would think one PLC costs less than all your relays, and your labor will be a fraction of what it is now once you work out the program. Build your program with ladder logic based on your diagram above, the forum can give you more help once you get rolling on the programming.

What are your thoughts on the use of snubbers?

Looks like an excellent choice...replaceable socketed relay and a form C contact (which might be overkill), but a quality name and a compact form factor.

There are some even smaller ones out there:

http://eshop.phoenixcontact.com/phoenix/treeViewClick.do?UID=2967662&parentUID=&reloadFrame=true (<-might have too low turn on current for triac outputs)

http://www.weidmuller.com/system/files/webfm/downloads/pdfs/literature/LIT0813_MicroSeries_C1D2.pdf

If the one you linked fits the project neatly, then use it though.

Please forgive my ignorance. Is it alright to control a 5 Ampere solenoid with a 3 A rated contact? Or, am I looking at the wrong page? http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229266/229643/229703/tab5.html

And this PLC
http://pewa.panasonic.com/automation-controls/plc/fp0r/

You may even be able to find one of the older "FP0" Panasonic/NAIS PLC's even cheaper.

Software is free.

Is this Panasonic controller recommended because it is so small? What else should I be seeing here?

Where would I look for the less expensive units and for what part numbers should I look?

I called Automation Direct and Billy recommended:
1-D2-DSCBL		$14.00 MOVs
1-C0-00AR-D $79.00
1-C0=00AC $29.00
1-ZL-TSD8-120 $26.00

1-C0-08TR $40.00
6-QL2N1-A120 $9.75
6-SQL08D $3.25
OR
2-C0-04TRS $44.00 FOUR HIGH CURRENT OUTPUTS

TOTAL $236.25 (WITH THE OPTION)

What do you think?

I would use interposing relays on the Brick PLC...because it's a brick, if you lose an output, you replace the whole thing...

If you can get 24vdc into the box, and use a 24vdc version of the PLC, it will usually run cooler, be less expesive, and may make your choice of interposing relays even wider since you can use 24vdc coils and simple transistor outputs on the PLC. This means switching the input voltage to 24vdc too, which has other advantages, the caveats being noise immunity and distance.

If you stick with AC, then that list looks like good recommendations. With only 6 relays, I guess you can go about 1.7" wide on the relays, making them easier to handle, but still fitting across one din rail in a 12" wide box...

What's the ambient temperature in which this box will be located?

Please forgive my ignorance. Is it alright to control a 5 Ampere solenoid with a 3 A rated contact? Or, am I looking at the wrong page? http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229266/229643/229703/tab5.html

Is this Panasonic controller recommended because it is so small? What else should I be seeing here?

Where would I look for the less expensive units and for what part numbers should I look?

My bad, I didn't realise your voltage requirement. Those relays won't be suitable at 120VAC.

May have to go for the larger "ice cube" style.

That Panasonic PLC is the smallest and cheapest i've worked with, hence my recommendation.

Although it looks like those Automation Direct "Cick" PLCs may do the job and be cheaper. Haven't seen those down here in Australia though.

xprtcp said:
Legend:
signal = 120VAC from a contact closure in another device. Since it is a simple contact closure it does not have to be 120VAC, that is simply how it is wired before adding this equipment.
xprtcp said:
Specifications:

All voltages are 120VAC
The relay is <1A
The sv is rated 5A inductive (a fluke shows ~1A when it is pulled closed).

brendan.buchan said:
My bad, I didn't realise your voltage requirement. Those relays won't be suitable at 120VAC.

I think we should talk him into switching to DC, but waiting to hear about distances and availability...sounds like some sort of remote station, so:
a) 24vdc=easy battery backup
b) Transistor Outputs=Last Forever*
*with proper sizing and protection

Last edited:

I think we should talk him into switching to DC, but waiting to hear about distances and availability...sounds like some sort of remote station, so:
a) 24vdc=easy battery backup
b) Transistor Outputs=Last Forever*
*with proper sizing and protection

DC Would it be possible to use the power supply that Click specified to do what you suggest?

Distances? The control system that is providing the contact closures is in the same cabinet. (BTW, the cabinet is NEMA 4X SS in the sun in Maryland.)The relays are <100' via conduit with other conductors. The solenoids are <100' likewise in conduit with other conductors.

Battery backup If the program is retained the states should not be retained. It is important that all relay contacts are open and valves closed (not powered) after an power outage.

proper sizing and protection Is that something that requires additional equipment or parts like a MOV or snubber?

While it might be possible to use the Click PLC power supply, I never suggest using the same power supply to power both Electronics and Coils. Coils cause too much interference and if not properly snubbed will eventually kill the electronics. Power supplies are so inexpensive any more it just makes sound practice to use two.

The distance should be fine assuming a proper wire gauge is used.

Battery Backup, this is easily fixed by changing the retentive ranges in the PLC.

Proper Sizing and Protection - Yes. All coils should always be snubbed. More so when it is DC powered.