Factory Talk View Transfer Tool

The Plc Kid

I am working on long distance remote to some pv plus 600 panels and using the me transfer tool. There are a lot of old projects in the internal memory and i need to remove them to make some room for the changes to be made. These units do not have the vnc option and "Bubba" on site will mess it up 4 sure so is there any way to remove or delete from the internal memory with the transfer tool? Is there another way?

I just want to explore all my options before i use bubba.

You can make a batch file, put it on a compact flash card and send it to bubba. He would just have to plug it in and the batch file could automatically delete them. Or you could email the batch file to him and he could put it on the flash card.

In fact, I have one that copy all files from the terminal to the flash card, then delete them off the terminal, then copy a new MER on the root of the flash card to the terminal.

This should do it. Just put it in a text file and save it as autorun.bat. Try it out if you want.

Code:
REM    Create a directory on the flash drive
REM    to back up the original file
mkdir \"storage card2"\original

REM    Copy the original file to the flash drive
copy \"storage card"\"rockwell software"\rsviewme\runtime\*.mer \"storage card2"\original\

REM    first get to the proper directory
cd\storage card\rockwell software\rsviewme\runtime\

REM now delete the old version of the mer 
del /f /q "*.mer"

REM    copy the new version from the CF card (top level)
REM    the file we are going to copy can not have any spaces
REM    in its name
copy \"storage card2\"*.mer

Call \windows\rebootsystem.exe /y

Thanks and is this just the built in windows script? The REM instructions are those just for documentation purposes?

I have not done much with custom scripts like this but that is a very powerful tool. I need to learn more.

Thanks again.

Yeah, it's just a windows batch file. After all, the PVP is Windows CE (just stripped down). The REM is just comments.

We had one for a long time that would replace the screen saver. I think we got it from the knowledge-base. I figured that the same could be done with the MER. The trick was figuring out what location they were in on the PVP.

I have used radmin and it is pretty good but so is ultra VNC and it is free.

On some panelview Plus terminals the vnc is built in and can not be changed.

On versaview panels i run ultra vnc as it is free and does everything that i need even file transfer.

dmroeder,

I never thought about using a batch file for this.

I was looking for "how to move an MER without FTME."

I know that the transfer utility is installed with FTME. Is it a standalone install? (No license required, perhaps?)

MarkN

My understanding is that it used to only be bundled with FTVS but they were supposed to release it as a free stand alone. I've never followed up in this though. Maybe check out their software download and see if this is true.

KB article 50637 says that it's not possible to install the transfer utility without installing FactoryTalk View Studio