SETI Poll

Do you run SETI@Home now?

• YES, we run SETI.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No, not yet.

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • No, but we will now.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Yes, and I plan to meet with the little green folks on New Years .

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters

David_Emmerich

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just an idea...I have been crunching SETI data for 3 years now, and I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same...if not, I would like to see if we could enlist some of our members to join the project. More info is located at SETI@HOME .

I did this too for a while a year or so ago. Perhaps I'll have a go at it again now that I have A.) A heck of a lot faster computer, and B.) an 'Always on' DSL connection.

Thanks for the reminder, David... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Hi Rick....15,000 hours is impressive!!!! :cool: When I first started, it was taking 50-57 hours for each work unit...8086 Zenith @ about 10 MHz or so, now I'm running on a Sony laptop @ 2.41 GHtz and they take about 4.5 hours!!! (y) I took a look at the leading "crunchers" last night, they are a group of British Overclockers...they sound like a 'fun' group!!! VERY competitive!!!
David beerchug

Thanks for the jump over here Phil, I was not sure if was near enough to being ' close to topic' to post over on this side...lets see how it does today!! :cool:

David

SETI is Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence. The signals from amny radio telescopes must be processed in a search for patterns. This is incredibly computation intensive. Thus SETI@HOME was established which requests users with 'always on' Internet connections to load software which, in the background while other processes aren't taking place, works on small segments of these analysis problems. The computers are automatically azssigned their small sections and report back their results. The hope is that a massive effort of multiple computers will lead to a time and cost effective was of doing this analysis.

Last edited:
Thank you Bernie and Rick for answering and posting the link again...I got tied up for a while....

We have had 275 views of this thread today, but only 9 votes :( Maybe the next 24 hours will be better! :)
David
beerchug

My 7 year old son told me today. Hey DAD, you are looking for E.T. again.

He was a lot younger when he first ask me about this strange screen on my PC.

I'm glad David reminded me about it.

My oldest is also 7. We used to have a password on the screen saver, just to protect whatever application we accidently left open from hands pounding on the keyboard. We'd hear a complaint- "I wanna play on the computer, but it is looking for aliens again!"

I think my wife is slightly embarassed to have it on the computer.

I'm at around 11,700 hours on my home machine. 381 units (30hr 52min Average) On a 800MHz PIII with Windows 2000 Pro. Going just about 2.25 years now.

I registered back in 1999 and did 133 units (average 25 hours) but stopped using it back in 2001. Now you've reminded me i'll install it again :)

I've got about 4 computers indoors that could run it as a screensaver :D