VMWARE and Micrologix

sherman4813

Hello,

I have a WIN 7 computer running VMWARE with XP. I am trying to connect the PLC to the comptuer using a crossover cable. My question is how should the ethernet connections be setup? The PLC is off the network, the firewall is off and wireless is off. Also I am trying to use BOOTP to assign the PLC a IP address. Can anyone try to point in the right direction!! Thanks in advance.

I would put the VM's network adapter setting as Bridged, then set up your IP inside the VM to something in the same subnet as what you intend for your PLC to be. If BOOTP won't work inside the VM, then I would do it in the Windows 7 Host.

What Micrologix do you have? 1100, 1400, 1500? Is it brand new? If it's already been assigned an IP (therefore BOOTP won't work) and it's a 1100 or 1400 you can look at (and set) the IP through the front panel.

I am using micrologix 1000 analog. I am new to setting these up out of the box. What is Win 7 host??? I am using a crossover cable from the PC to the PLC can this be an issue???

The ML1000 doesn't have and Ethernet port so I am a bit confused with the use of a crossover cable to go from the PC to the PLC

Sorry, I meant you wouldn't use BOOTP if you were talking a Micro1000. (No Ethernet)

You'd need an 1100 or a 1400 for BOOTP.

The micrologix 1000 has a round cable (rs-232) coming out of it and this plugs into another smaller box next to it(see pic). This box has an ethernet port which I am using. Am I totally screwed up!?
ab-p1761.jpg

OK now I have tried to connect using the directions and a crossover cable and no luck. When I look at RSlinx I see the RSlinx server but the plc will not show up. Also I found that the picture I posted is a D series and the micrologix 1000 is an A series.Any suggestions?

I have never attempted to use BootP with a NET-ENI. I have always used the free software to set the IP address of the NET-ENI.

Did you try the software to set the IP or did you try BootP?

I was able to finally connect to one of the new PLCs. The only issues now is I think I assigned an IP to the PLC that I still can not connect too. Is there anyway to reset the IP address on the Micrologix 1000 analog?? Or "ping" it in any way?

The IP address gets set in the Net-ENI not the ML1000.
Actually can you give us the PN of MicroLogix?
How did you set the IP address and what is it?
What is the IP of you computer?
Are you using a switch in you Ethernet communications?