Panelview 1000 half screen?

I have a Panelview 1000 running on a machine at work. The power cycled off and when the unit rebooted it will only display half of the screen with a big white "x" running through it. This has happened previously and we had a "tech" come in and he touched the screen somewhere and it went back to the full screen. Well we can't get this to work. How can I get this screen back to full size so the machine can be run. I also do not have a copy of the program.

Is this one of the old black-bezel "PanelView 1000 Standard" or one of the newer Windows CE-based, grey-bezel "PanelView Plus 1000" terminal ? Or even a PV1000e "Enhanced" terminal from the early Nineties ? The part number sticker will tell you for sure; 2711, 2711E, 2711P are the Standard, Enhanced, and Plus terminal bulletin numbers.

Displaying half a screen certainly isn't standard behavior... my immediate guess is that the video section has been damaged.

The keypad terminals generally have a key sequence to go to the Configuration screen, like leftarrow/rightarrow or Ctrl-Alt-Enter. It depends on which model and which firmware revision you have. The touchscreen terminals generally need to be rebooted and they'll show a white box in the lower left corner that you touch during bootup so that the runtime goes to the Configuration screen.

The primary thing you need to do is recover that user program. Using the transfer utility (again, different ones for different Standard / Enhanced/ Plus terminals is the easiest method, though there may be CompactFlash or even USB options.

The unit is a newer grey framed panelview plus 1000 and has no buttons or arrow keys. I believe the guys that got it working before tapped the corners when it was rebooting and they got it up in the normal full screen but we can not duplicate this process. Thanks

The "tap the corners" procedure is a calibration for the touchscreen that's done after a firmware upgrade. It might have been a coincidence that a firmware upgrade was done during the repair process.

When you reboot the terminal, do you see the white text at the top with the "Rockwell Automation Copyright 2007" and the "EBC xx.yy.xx" and "BBC aa.bb.cc" numbers ? If those don't show up then it's definitely a hardware video problem, because all that's in the bootloader and the OS isn't even running at that point.

The "white square" ought to show up in the lower left corner for a couple of seconds during bootup. This was added somewhere around v4 firmware (about 4 years ago) so its absence also suggests a hardware problem.

You should be able to get the Runtime file off the terminal by plugging in a USB memory stick with an "autorun.bat" file on it containing just the following line:

copy \"Storage Card"\"Rockwell Software"\RsViewME\Runtime\*.* \"USB Storage"

That should copy all the *.MER files from the runtime storage directory onto your USB stick. You should also see the "Pocket CMD" screen appear when you plug in the USB stick.

The FTView ME Transfer Utility should also be able to communicate with the terminal over Ethernet or RS-232 and upload the *.MER files. The ability of the terminal to communicate over the network will also tell you something about what software components are running behind that half-screen.

Thanks Ken. I didnt know you could upload to usb. This will come handy when there is no backup of the run time file. :)

USB storage was added later in the firmware (I think it was in v5.0) and support for various types of flash drives isn't universal. But it certainly is convenient and it has worked on every flash drive I've tried.

V6 terminals have greatly improved USB storage and printer support.