FIX32 optimisation?

karivelm

Hi,

At our plant we are using FIX32, recently for a new project we had to add a bunch of tags... But now the entire network using FIX32 software seems slower...

Does anybody have suggestion on how to speed it up? We have one Xp server for about 12 stations.

A little more info would us help you.
What are you communicating with ?
What driver are you using ?
Are you polling multiple data registers at a time or just one point per poll ?
How fast are you trying to poll the data ? ( phasing the polling of your data can help).
Not trying to poll all at the same time.
Are the new tags input or output tags ( blocks) ?

Last edited:
What is a bunch? 10, 100, 1000 or 10 000?

No matter what FIX32 is client server and unless you have processpictures with many tags or alarm summarys with many alarms over a slow network it should not be noticable to add some tags.

What is a bunch? 10, 100, 1000 or 10 000?

No matter what FIX32 is client server and unless you have processpictures with many tags or alarm summarys with many alarms over a slow network it should not be noticable to add some tags.

We have about 9000 tags all together now in this application
The driver is MBP

We added about 1730 tags.

We are exchanging data with 15 PLCs. Presently we are just adding tags going to one of these PLCs.

Could it be an idea to modify acces time & poll time for the different blocks presently all the access times are 300.0 & poll time 1.0

We have about 9000 tags all together now in this application
The driver is MBP

We added about 1730 tags.

We are exchanging data with 15 PLCs. Presently we are just adding tags going to one of these PLCs.

Could it be an idea to modify acces time & poll time for the different blocks presently all the access times are 300.0 & poll time 1.0

Trying to poll 9000 blocks ever second is pushing the limits.

Get the book out and read about "Phasing" the poll times. Do you have to poll ever second?

You might take a look at exception base polling also. I'm not a big fan of it but it might work for you.

The Fix32 CD should have come with some "Electronic Books". Check it if you have the CD.

Thanks ! Hi have one last interrogation... All the new tags have been programmed Online...these tags refer to an existing PLC but the PLC has not been modified yet..The new I/O Cards are physically not there yet (2 new Drops). Does this have an impact or do the registers in FIX32 just talk to the main PLC and not the Drops?

Thanks ! Hi have one last interrogation... All the new tags have been programmed Online...these tags refer to an existing PLC but the PLC has not been modified yet..The new I/O Cards are physically not there yet (2 new Drops). Does this have an impact or do the registers in FIX32 just talk to the main PLC and not the Drops?

Yes, from my old memory. If trying to poll it gets no response then it should go into a slow poll. ( skip it blocks and come back later) But my memory is old and I'm not sure about the MBP driver. Or it will try several times before getting a time out.

I found some info about scan times and phasing see PDF below.

Last edited: