HMI with RIO

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have several machins running with RIO from 1747SN to
1794 ASB units and Panel View HMI'S What BRAND would be a good
replacment for the screens and still be able to keep the RIO
Network. I converted these machines 9 years ago and would not
use RIO if I were doing it today, but they have been trouble
free with the exception of a few Panel Views.

Hey Rox - did you go any where with this one? I have a customer has some old AB PV 550s to SLC 5/04. He's having problem with getting the 550s. He's looking to replace JUST the HMI and perhaps a comm adapter of some sort. Anybus and Prosoft make gobs of protocol converters but wasn't sure how that would ultimately work with another low end HMI. Just wondering what you did.

You might be in luck if the 5/04 is connected to the old PV550 units with DH+ and not using a RIO scanner. To be sure, post the whole part number of the Panelview and we can go from there.

You can still get EZE panels from EZAutomation with a DH+ option. Then you would just have to recreate the application in their software.

At one time you could get DH+ modules for PanelMate but I am not sure if that is still the case, and it might still be possible to get a Panelview plus with DH+ option. I try to avoid the PV+ and have succeeded for the past couple of years so I am out of touch with where Rockwell is in their push to obsolete the DH+ options from that line of HMI.

The EZ3 panels are cheap and the software is simple and basic to use. I cannot brag about the durability with my limited experience but for the price and the savings you will gain over having to change out PLC controllers, you could budget for a spare.

Ouch! The 6" unit is $500 and the DH+ card is $1400! I think about $1300 of that goes to A/B for licensing...
http://store.ezautomation.net/product_p/ez3-t6c-e.htm

Still might be cheaper than alternatives though.

Paul

Last edited:
You can still get an A-B 2711P-RN6 comm module to use with a PanelView Plus 6, which will support DH+. But note that it will not do RIO. The only way to do RIO with a current PanelView is to use a third party gateway, such as a ProSoft AN-X2-AB-DHRIO.

You could use the serial port on the SLC 5/04, but that will only communicate to one HMI.

I would recommend replacing the 5/04 with a 5/05 and go EtherNet to the HMI's instead of investing in a dying communication protocol.

Good Data

I followed up and PV550 was RIO but EZ automation had RIO board ($1400). Since that time, customer came back and told me it's a SLC 5/05 with ENET so that greatly simplifies things.

But I wanted to thank you for your reply b/c it gave me a lead didn't have prior.

Prosoft also had RIO to Enet but it was $1700