nobody speaks SCHNEIDER

I will hazard a guess:

1) Schneider PLC's are not very big in industry compared to many others OR

2) People who use them find them to be intuitive and bulletproof.

I have never seen or used one so I would have to guess 1).

Steve

Us Gallic have them likes automat SCHNEIDER.
In France, schneider is very importante in different industry notament the food industrie one because it allows the programming typically French grafcet but no the octet calculation....see CRC16 topic.
theo

Welcome

Maybe the label Made in France is the reason.

I never heared about PL7.
Except that Modicon is SCHNEIDER and we give Modicon all the respect.
SCHNEIDER have very good Electro Mechanical component.
But I think they poor in component like VFDs PLCs ect.
I used to work with SCHNEIDER a lot but now they raise the price so much it become not worth for me.Over here they at list 20% more expencive then ABB Siemens AB.

I am not married with Mrs. SCHNEIDER I already programmed of Siemens, AB and another OMRON but I find that it is simplest programmed but greediest in memory and times cycle. For the price the processor does not seem more expensive to me than the other marks.

Same remark for my approximate English language.

theo.

I would like to throw PL7 in the bin.
The Twido is a very good concept (no not the software, it should go in the bin too) that is let down by 2 major points, lousy software, no online programming.
The TSX Premium is a very attractive PLC, has lots of goodies except the software.
:oops:

As I said often in other threads, I use mainly TSX Premium and Micro.
I do not like the Twido. The software is no good, and the price is almost the same as the Micro.

I found PL7 Pro a software easy and simple.

BobB: Why do you like to throu PL7 in the Bin? I can understand about Micro, but PL7? Or it's me that is missing all the good things about other PLC makers. I also use Siemens and Omron and I can not see a big advantage.

Note: I had never used typically French grafcet :)

João

Am I correct in believing that grafcet is the same as the IEC sequential function charts?
If so, then it is a good concept and makes programming a lot easier.

Doug

Sorry guys but IMHO Modicon Quatum serie PLC and Concept Software is the very best the industrie can offer.

As far as the source "code problems" of the earlyer versions, it is fixed now.

The FBlock editions and there more than fantastic PIDs block has not been surpassed by any other brands.

The AB fanatics would die if they where to have to program a smooth transfer from auto to maual mode in Fuzzy or PID mode control. Do this with an SLC and when you come back in a few days...

They cost a lot. It depend in what league you play.

With the big industries its irrelevant, with small to medium size, it way to expensaive.

There Web server card is intuitive and very easy to setup.

I have nothing but praises for this "Kit".

Hey! they even have onboard simulation.

I hve to agree with Pierre. I work with Modicon Quantum/Momentum PLCs and Concept software mainly but also have SLC and GE 90-30 and 90-70.
The Modicon stuff is by far the most solid and easiest to use. I have spent the last two days working on some peer to peer stuff on the AB PLCs and found that Modicon can be done in a fraction of the time without the gotchas that the AB has. I have been curious as to why there are so few posts here regarding Modicon.

smiller

Before few monthes I had to connect 2 Modicon PLCs It took me 5 hours with AB it usually take less.You can find meny reason for that.
Modicom become not so popular in the last few years.
I think the reason is price and support.No doubt Modicon is very powerful PLC.

Arik

smiller said:
I have been curious as to why there are so few posts here regarding Modicon.

I cannot talk 'bout other places but here in eastern Canada, many resaler that carry the Modicon line also have SquareD.

One of the big resalers is NEDCO. They have most of there buziness from electrical contractor and I feel they don't push there product that much.

And isn't SquareD/Télémécanique PLC the worst piece of doodoo in the market.

hi theo,

my experience with modicon was rather limited and although
some people do like it, i wasn't impressed (you can call it
subjective...). you are welcome to post some tips or code or
anything to help promote this platform if that's what you want.
maybe if everyone notices fresh wind more people will start
using it or visit this forum. we all come here for just one
simple reason: share the knoweledge.

Another view of why Schneider isn't popular.

As you guys know my company makes motion modules. In the past we have made 3 motion modules that fit in the Modicon card slots. We have worked closely with a few plc companies and it is interesting to see what they do and how it affects their relative strength relative to the other PLC companies. I think Modicon appeared to be doing well when AEG had control, but since then a few things have greatly hurt them. When Schneider took control there are battles to see which distributor ( Modicon, Square D or Telemechanique) was going to survive. In many cases the Modicon distributor didn't. A lot of good people at the distributor level were lost. There was also the problem with the name changes. Modicon, AEG/Schneider, Square D, Schneider Automation have all been names for the Schneider company in the US. The local Schneider PLC sales and support guys can not have you on their mind when they don't even know if they have a job or know what they will call themselves when they answer the phone in the morning. In my view Schneider has done a marketing self destruct. This has nothing to do with the quality of the product. It is just hard for any PLC company to compete with a Rockwell when Ken Roach or one of his buddies are constantly in front of Boeing and Weyerhauser when the other PLCs are fighting internal problems.

Stabiltiy is good. Uncertainthy is bad. Customer like to know that the PLC guy to promise their system will work today will be around to keep his word tomorrow.

I know about these problems because the Modicon distributors were also selling our Modicon motion modules. We had to change distributors as Schneider started eliminating the old Modicon distributors. Then we had to train the new Modicon distributors and point them to the projects that were being quoted or in progress. Too many times the ball was dropped and another PLC company stepped in. Fortunately we work with other PLC companies to keep

BTW, at one time Weyerhauser was almost all the sawmills in the Pacific NorthWest were Modicon. Now there are only a few plants left with Modicon PLCs.