PLC5 with Redundant ControlNet

FredS

I have a system with two (2) PLC-5's with redundant controlnet network to FlexIO. I would like to install a ControlLogix within the ControlNet network to run in parallel with the PLC-5. Eventually, the PLC-5 will be removed and ControlLogix will take its place. Has anyone done this before? If yes, what were the risk involved?

The ControlLogix will be the same program as the PLC-5. Have both run in "parallel" but the ControlLogix will not have any outputs connected. I will be logging the inputs and outputs to make sure that the progams will perform similarly through an HMI. I am verifying that the ControlLogix program before removing the PLC-5 from the network.

I know with Controllogix and ControlLogix I/O that processors can be assigned to the same input modules, only one controller can control an output module. I'm not sure (but I dought it) that the same can be done with 1771 I/O. But I learn something new on this forum all the time. Others can probably give a more definative answer.