AB NT8 revisited

Hootnholler

Hey all :D

Not sure if any of you remember this one, but that NT8 card is coming back to haunt me, the one I had asked about a few months ago. Quick update... the card never did work right. The company left the machine down, we got bought out, and now they want it working. No problem, but they owe some vendors some money, and trying to get help on this is quite an issue. I'm the lucky guy that gets to try and figure it out, and thought I'd ask some of you, beg is more like it, for some help on this.

The card was sent out by one of the mechanics on days, and we got it back. They did say the card was bad, and they replaced several components. We tried to put the card in, do some reconfiguring on the TC wiring (it was a mess) and also setup the program proper. I'm sure that part of the issue is biting off more than we can chew, but onto the current issue...

If any of you are familiar with this card... I did configure it in the output table for a j type thermocouple. They are using PID in the program for the comparison in data word setting, and I get a blinking LED. When checking the manual, it says that it's usually due to a configuration issue, but have tried almost every possibility that I can think of. When I set the output table to status word, there are bits 12-15 to tell what type of condition is happening. I am only getting bit 15 as on in the input table, again, telling me that it's a config issue. It's not an open TC, over/under temp, etc.. just kind of a vague statement.

Well, as stated earlier, they are using CJC sensors to help compensate for temperature and auto-calibration. I tried swapping those out, and the same result. I'm beginning to lean more towards the card is still not well, or they may have overlooked something in the repair.

My main question is, or the one nagging me, is this. The card will allow for engineering units or PID for the input. The program is doing a simple PID scale with parameters, with the J limits for degrees C. If I remember right, PID is 0 to 2^15 power, and AB uses their limits from 2^16 positive and negative. When I view that instruction in the program, I initially get a decimal reading from the Input word of 193, and then it faults and sets the word to -32767, in other words, flagging the 16th bit of the word, which is outside of the PID range. At first I thought it was an open state for the TC, but it does not show up that way in the Input table when set to status word from data word.

Am I overthinking this, or completely missing something? Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hoot

Sorry for the dual post...

After rereading that message, it's a bit choppy. I'll try and simplify my question. I did try to edit, but missed the 60 minute mark.

Since the Output table is used to configure the channel, for the type of TC, enabled, filters, PID/Engineering units, etc... and the input table is updated from the readings, is the Input table, bit 15 of the designated word to be used when originally setup for PID?

I have tried configuring for engineering units, etc... and still no luck.

Hoot