Bit Memory adressing limit for Siemens CPU

userxyz

How can I know the bit memory adressing limit of a CPU ?

I have this CPU: 6ES7 314-6CG03-0AB0

M600.0 gives errors, not in PLCSim, only when downloading. When I change the adress to M100.0, no errors.

I googled for the resources of such CPU. But didn't find anything specifically about the adress limit...

Anyone know where to find this ?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Combo

It is in manual.

For example, CPU314:

Data areas and their retentivity
Bit memory
Number, max. 256 bytes
Retentivity, available Yes (MB 0 to MB 255)
Retentivity, default MB0 to MB15
Clock memories 8 (1 memory byte)

it is given in the manual of the CPU or you can find it online in "Module information" of the CPU. No of Inputs, Outputs, Bit memory, DB memory timers/counters etc..

The editor does not check which CPU you are using. It is only when you attempt to download to the CPU that you will discover if any addressing is out of range for that CPU.

Module information...
Thanks, I'll check it out with an online connection tommorow.

Did you even open up the manual? For example CPU315-2DP has 2048 bytes of m area. Ofc editor must accept values like m300.0. Its the compiling state when you make the download that checks compability.

Imho, m area should be avoided when writing program.

ok

Yes I did. 314 has 256 byte's and 313 128 byte's.
But offcourse, DB's are retentive by default in simatic manager, m area is for testing. A collegue of me used the PLCSim and M600.0. This worked, but not in his CPU. When he changed it to M300.0 he could download and it worked...

Did you even open up the manual? For example CPU315-2DP has 2048 bytes of m area. Ofc editor must accept values like m300.0. Its the compiling state when you make the download that checks compability.

Imho, m area should be avoided when writing program.

I think DB's are easier to maintain and can be used with more describing symbols and structure. As with all, its not black and white never use m area, its more like use it only when really needed. Testing is one good use of it.

So back at you, why you would use m area over db?

Yes I did. 314 has 256 byte's and 313 128 byte's.
But offcourse, DB's are retentive by default in simatic manager, m area is for testing. A collegue of me used the PLCSim and M600.0. This worked, but not in his CPU. When he changed it to M300.0 he could download and it worked...

Yeah, plcsim sucks for many things. Never assume it works like real plc ;) for example some instructions clear accu2 when executed in plcsim but work like documented in real plc (ofc).