Profinet and iMap issues

I'm an S7 newbie, and I'm trying to write some client software that will speak Profinet to a Siemens 317-2 PN/DP. I want to do the simplest thing that will work - I don't really care what's going on in the PLC - I just want to see if I can talk to it successfully.

I have Step 7 and iMap installed, and I have defined a Profinet interface with one function and one data block. I think I have also successfully created a Profinet component from it - at least I didn't get any errors.

It looks like the next step is to import the component into iMap and use it there, but I have a few questions:

1. A lot of the help seems to suggest that iMap is a separate tool, but I don't see it in the programs menu. In Installed Software, I do see SIMATIC iMap - Step7 add-on V3.0. Should it show up in the programs menu? If not, how do I get to these network configuration screens I'm seeing in the help?

2. Will I need to have a program running in the PLC to do the Profinet communication, or can I just access the shared symbol table? I'm a little fuzzy on the relationship between Profinet components and variables in the PLC.

3. Do I need to add copy blocks from the shared library to my project? It looks like that's optional for the 317-2.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Hi there
IMAP uses CBA

From IMAP help
PROFINET CBA.(Component Based Automation) - for machine-to-machine communication (between PLCs and intelligent field devices.)
PROFINET CBA incorporates the communication between the PLC and intelligent field devices (machine-to-machine communication) at unit level.
In Component Based Automation, a device is a representation of the physical device for which the PROFINET component was created. Such devices include programmable controllers, intelligent field devices and peripheral, hydraulic and pneumatic devices.

Your requirement is to create talk between Client software running on a PC with that of PLC 317. So its not possible, this is because you wont be able to create Profinet Component/interface for Client software. Also you mentioned that you have created the component successfully. Just wanted to know if you have created component for Client?

Just for info
In Step7 first step is to create Profinet Interface ( DB Strucuture)
Second is to create profibus component.
Now Step7 work is done.

Third step is in IMAP software just import profibus component.
Fourth is to create drag n drop these components from Library window to Plant view window. (explained graphically in IMAP help)

Fifth is connect DB's.

Sixth download the entire project from IMAP itself.

Thats it.

Now communication between the PLCs will start.