AD 05 and Click DRUM sequancer

benlomond1012

I am comparing the Automation Direct “Click” the Direct Logic 05. I am looking at the sequencer, or DRUM, commands.

The ladder diagrammed for the DRUM on the “Click” unit is very straight forward and explains the inputs for “start” and “reset” as well as the “complete” output.

The diagram for the “05” unit is not so clear. It shows two inputs, neither of which are labeled, and no “complete” output.

Where can I get some program examples for each unit? I wish to use the “DRUM” sequencer to do a very simple task of turning on three outputs with a short dwell between each and at the end.
I tried to attach a copy of the program I started for the CLICK unit, but this window will not accept graphics.

Do I need to refer to the outputs in the sequence chats as further inputs on further rungs?
How do I do this in both units?

Thanks in advance.

To attach a Click program right click on the 'Click' (this can get confusing) program and 'Send To Compressed folder'. Then use the 'Attach Files' (at the bottom as you are composing your reply) to find and upload the 'zip' file containing your project. Then we can see what you are getting at.

In the DL05 you will need to 'zip' all the files belonging to your project. It can then be uploaded also.

I haven't used drums a lot (I simulated the proverbial student stop light exercise with one drum instruction) bu we can take a look.

benlomond1012

Here is a drum program I did to help someone else. I did not get any feedback if it worked or not.

It's for a baghouse on a dust collection system. The bags needed to be blasted after the system shut down at night.

Copy and paste the text below into a text editor, save it. Open a new instance of Direct soft for an DL06 instead of a 05. Click on file, import, program. and this text will open to the drum example.

PLC 06

// Rung 1
// Address 0
#BEGIN COMMENT
"When the main blower stops it will set C0"
#END
STRND X15
SET C0

// Rung 2
// Address 2
STR C2
STR X15
AND C1000
ORSTR
OR SP0
RST C0

// Rung 3
// Address 8
STR C0
STRPD C0
STR C2
STR X15
AND C1000
ORSTR
OR SP0
EDRUM CT20 K1 K100 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 C1 Y5 Y4 Y3 Y2 Y1 Y0 K1 K7200 K120 K120 K120 K120 K120 K120 K1 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 K0 K0 K8000 K4000 K2000 K1000 K800 K400 K200 K0 K0 K0 K0 K0 K0 K0

// Rung 4
// Address 83
#BEGIN COMMENT
"C0 will be reset when C2 is on, The reset is also performed during a powerup condition. "
"This is because the step will be frozen in the drum where it was. If you want the step to "
"continue then C0 will need to be re addressed to a retentive range and the SP0 will need "
"to be removed. "
""
"C2 is the last item in the second drum"
#END
STR C0
AND C1
STRPD C1
STR C2
STR X15
AND C1000
ORSTR
OR SP0
EDRUM CT30 K1 K100 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 C2 Y13 Y12 Y11 Y10 Y7 Y6 K1 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K60 K1 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 DEF0 K0 K8000 K0 K4000 K0 K2000 K0 K1000 K0 K800 K0 K400 K200 K0 K0 K0

// Rung 5
// Address 159
END

// Rung 6
// Address 160
NOP

#BEGIN ELEMENT_DOC
"X15","","","main blower aux"
"Y0","shaker#1","",""
"Y1","shaker#2","",""
"Y2","shaker#3","",""
"Y3","shaker#4","",""
"Y4","shaker#5","",""
"Y5","shaker#6","",""
"Y6","ascovalve#1","",""
"Y7","ascovalve#2","",""
"Y10","ascovalve#3","",""
"Y11","ascovalve#4","",""
"Y12","ascovalve#5","",""
"Y13","ascovalve#6","",""
"C0","","","cycle"
"C1","start 2nd drum","",""
"C2","reset, cyc done","",""
"C1000","","","if you want the cycle to shut down whenever the main blower turns on remove this bit but leave the main blower aux "

#END

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply.

I am almost convinced that the “Click” u it will be the easier to program. I am pushed for time and do not want to generate a huge learning curve here.

I have attached the Click program and a pdf print-out. Clicking on click was not too clicking bad!

RE: AD 05 and Click DRUM sequancer Reply to Thread

milldrone,

The outputs for Y11, Y12, Y13 are not hooked up, this is supposed to be a simple dwell between the three main outputs. I can hook them to anything, but they are simply "place holders".

Thank you for the demo program. I am using the free version of the software so it will only accept 100 words. But when I edited out enought for it to load I saw what you did, and that helped.

What are the 3 input lined to the drum box? They exist but are not labeled. Also, it would help to know if the program is actually functional.

However, this answered a lot of questions. I think the "clik" software is more intuition and user-friendly.

My problem is that I am working at a company in China, and even though the clik is made here, it is not sold here. So if I want to avoid import duty for the clik bought from home (California, I need to use the 05 or 06 units. That software is not as intuitive or user friendly. It is still a LOT better than anything form Allan Bradly though!

Thanks! I think I will send home for the click unit and use that here.

milldrone,

The outputs for Y11, Y12, Y13 are not hooked up, this is supposed to be a simple dwell between the three main outputs. I can hook them to anything, but they are simply "place holders".

Ok! I was concerned how you were going to use addresses that do not exist in the physical world.

What are the 3 input lined to the drum box? They exist but are not labeled.

I found this in the help section of Direct Soft 5. The inputs are identified in the text portion. (underlined in red)

edrum.jpg

AD 05 Drum

Thank you all, you have been most helpful. I will be ordering a model 05 very soon.

Does anyone know if I can use an EA-MG-PGM-CB USB programming cable on an Automation Direct D0-05DR, or am I stuck with he RS-232 D2-DSCBL cable?

Rich

Re: 05

I have had problems with USB to RS-232 adapters. It always ends up being a problem of drivers and setup. Sometimes the host program can not respond to the USB interface, but I think that is rare.

It is hard to see from the drawings, does the 05 unit mount on a DIN rail?

Rich

I have had problems with USB to RS-232 adapters. It always ends up being a problem of drivers and setup.

Yeah, I have two Dell laptops both with XP. On one all I had to do was plug the USB converter in and plug into the PLC open up DS5, and whiz bang it connected when prompted. The other laptop required viewing the Device manager in Windows and observing which com port had the EA-MG-PGM-CB USB connected to it. Then assigning that comm # in the "link wizard".

It is hard to see from the drawings, does the 05 unit mount on a DIN rail?

Yes