Sink/Source Wiring Question

drlarue

Hello,

I'm currently doing a project for school where I am taking a Yamaha QRCH robot and installing a Panelview Plus 600 for controls, though the MPB hand held controller will still be connected, I am becoming very confused on the wiring of the 50-Pin adapter coming from the robot into the enclosure as some of the digital output pins and general input pins have NPN open collectors(Sinking if I am not mistaken).

The digital inputs of the robot are being wired into the output module of the PLC, and the robot outputs to an input module, but I am wondering do the sinking inputs and outputs go to a sinking or sourcing module, as everything else seems like it's backwards. I'd appreciate any kind of help you can provide.

Thank you

I do have the electrical I/O schematics from Yamaha for the robot also if that would help and the initial drawings done by the previous year students as far the pin #'s and their function with the robot, have a basic understanding (i hope so at least) of the concept of what is happening.

With my touch screen, created with ViewME, when i touch the "Start" button it will activate an internal bit, I created with my runtime application in ViewME to reference my RSLogix500 program, to my CompactLogix output which will send a signal to pin #5 Digital Input #12 on the controller of the robot to simulate that the MPB controller has pushed the start button, however, I do not know whether the sinking inputs should go to sinking outputs or sourcing outputs as I am sending them in the opposite way (my instinct tells me that the answer is right there) but I don't want to make a mistake and fry the entire thing and forfeit all the work I have put into it on a simple mistake.

Sourcing Outputs go to Sinking Inputs. Sinking Outputs go to Sourcing Inputs.

Sinking/Sourcing will just let you know where the voltage is/needs to be.

Sinking Input is waiting for positive (24VDC) of your power supply. (Current "sinks" in)
Sourcing Input is waiting for the common (0V) of your power supply. (Current "sources" out)

Sinking Output switches the 0V to the output terminal.
Sourcing Output switches the 24V to the output terminal.

This is assuming you are using 24VDC power, but the idea is the same.

If you connected a Sourcing output to a Sourcing Input, no damage would occur (assuming they are the both running from the same power supply) but the input would not turn on because both ends would be at a +24VDC potential, no current would flow.

(That is the basic idea, I'm sure my terminology at the end is not 100% accurate because we are dealing with transistors, not relays, so the real reason the input isn't turning on has to do with the transistor not being biased correctly, or what not).

Last edited:
and yes that was what I was confused on because I know they only allow current to flow in one way and the bias has to be set before to allow it do so and how to get it to set the bias from the opposite way if that makes sense.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I have both sink and a source output module (which are obvious for the connections) but have a sink/source input module, 16 pts, and am not sure how that works whether 0-7 are sink and 8-15 are source or whether it is relative from 0-7 going sink to source and 8-15 going to sink to source

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I have both sink and a source output module (which are obvious for the connections) but have a sink/source input module, 16 pts, and am not sure how that works whether 0-7 are sink and 8-15 are source or whether it is relative from 0-7 going sink to source and 8-15 going to sink to source

It might help if you can tell the forum the complete catalog numbers of your input and output modules.