AB Silver Series...

escoplcguy

Hey guys,

i am creating a report for our plants plc-5/SLC to control logix conversion. Something i wanted to add was the sliver dates for our i/o and controllers. i went to the search site and i didnt see any of our 1771/1746 i/o. is there another way to search? or should i just call my Rockwell rep. cause i know he had all the dates memorized.

I also wanted to know if there was a site that you could search the discounts for "steping forward"

thanks guys!

The "normal" PLC-5 are not on the silver list yet, and neither are the SLCs. They will be priced into obsolescence (which can be used in your report) long before they hit the silver list, and that date is usually at least a couple of years out, after which you will still be able to get support.

So, you won't get to the point where you simply can't get parts any time soon, but you will feel it in the wallet, and that's usually motivation enough to prompt pre-emptive upgrades.

oh i see, so the silver date is when they stop supporting. but untill that time they will jack the price up sky high to motivate change

Yes, show them list prices for a PLC5/80E (retail=$23000 for the CPU module!) with a couple of analog cards and compare that to a Logix L6x platform.

Also, explain that the Logix CPU is 15 to 50 times faster and more powerful.

Then there's the issue of 3rd party specialty modules fading away for the PLC-5 and burgeoning for Logix.

EDIT: For step-forward discounts, I think you have to get those amounts from your supplier.

Last edited:
awesome! thanks for the quick responce.....looked up the list prices on everything we have and its compared price for control logix controller and i/o and for list onn PLC-5 to rebuild would cost us around $34,000 compared to CLX @ $20,000 thats major!