Yet another serial converter???

realolman

So... because they quit putting serial ports on computers,I bought a 1747-UIC to talk to Allen Bradley SLC computers ... now it seems I gotta get a different adapter to talk to Micrologix 1500.

This certainly seems to be a never ending, money sucking, aggravating bunch of ridiculousness. They both connect to 9 pin D-sub connectors.

Why is it necessary to have all these different cords and adapters?

A plain USB-to-RS232 adapter is a minimal expense.

Besides, the ML1500 is quite old now. For a new project consider the ML1400 in stead. The ML1400 has an ethernet port.

Different Comms protocols and different wiring standards.

All you need is a serial able DB9 on one end and 8 pin Mini DIN on the other. Buy it from ab or plccables.com cheaper or roll your own at radio shack.

Different Comms protocols and different wiring standards.

All you need is a serial able DB9 on one end and 8 pin Mini DIN on the other. Buy it from ab or plccables.com cheaper or roll your own at radio shack.

I have this and it doesn't work.. Rockwell tech support says I need a 9800 USBS.

I am trying a plain old keyspan usb to serial now , but I haven't been able to get it to work either.

Got it

I finally got it to work using the keyspan adapter ( another good suggestion from you folks on this forum )

I didn't have comm ports and baud correct... once I got that it worked

thanks for your help:D

Keep in mind that the UIC is not a USB to RS-232 converter, it is a USB to DH485 converter. This goes for both the RJ45 connector and the DB-9 connector on the converter. If you are going to configure your ML to communicate using DH-485 then the UIC will work, but if you are going to use RS-232 and the DF1 protocol then you need a simple USB to serial converter. The Keyspan converter works very well for this.

Been using the standard AB 1761-PM02 cable with

usb-serial-mini-2-small.jpg
Part No: USBG-232MINI USB RS-232 Serial Adapter DB-9 Male works with all Windows and Mac
$18.95

$18.95​

for going on 2+ years now. I have programmed ML 1000's-1100's-1500's with it and have also used it with the SLC 5/04. It works flawlessly, and here, I'll even attach the driver file with it for you.

go to www.CoolGear.com to find it under USBGear