CompactLogix to PV300 micro via DF1

I am trying to get a PV300 micro to read tags from a CompactLogix L32E via DF1 protocol. All my tags are rejected with a 9409 error - "Address specified for Tag is not valid for terminal protocol." Either I am doing something really simple, really wrong or else trying to do something that cannot be done.

For example, how do I access the controller level tag CYCLE_COUNT from the CLX and get that value into the PV tag CYCLES? In other words I want CYCLES in the PV to be the value of CYCLE_COUNT in the CLX. I have the Node Type set as CompactLogix. The Tag Name as CYCLES, the node name as CompactLogix and the the Address as CYCLE_COUNT. This does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I just went back and imported the tags from the CLX in RSLOGIX5000 CSV format. Things look much different in the tag editor. The Tag Name and Address are now the same. So now do I just modify mt PVV program and replace every occurence of CYCLEs with CYCLE_COUNT? Can I delete unused tags from the list of imported tags?

I may have misspoken...Try setting up the node name and adding tags manually in PB32. If it accepts Logix style tags with the PV300 Micro as the chosen platform, then you may not have to use mapping.

Add some tags to the tag editor. Name them whatever you want, and put the Logix tag name in the Address column, then save and verify the file. Definitely delete the imported tags, or start from srcratch with a test project.

Thanks OKIE. Yes, I would have preferred to use a Red Lion, but I am stuck with a PV300 because that is what the boss wants.

I tried your suggestions and using the imported tags and setting up the node, but still the errors persist. It does not like the Address.

It seems like there should be a way to make this work since CompactLogix is given as a choice, but I can't get it to work. The AB literature is silent on the matter.

See Knowledgebase article below

It appears OkiePC had it right the first time.

49970 - What is error 9409 in PanelBuilder32?
Access Level: Everyone
Date Created: 03/05/2008 05:08 PM
Date Last Updated: 07/07/2008 09:52 AM

Error 9409 - Address specified for tag is not valid for terminal protocol

Problem:
Tag address is not valid for current protocol.

For example, trying to address a ControlLogix native tag address (ie, test[0].0) over DF1. Since DF1 cannot handle native CL tags, you would need to set up tag mapping in the ControlLogix and address the tag in SLC/PLC tag formatting (ie, N7:0/0).

Solution:
Assign a tag address compatible with the selected communication protocol.

You might try telling your boss about the cost savings of the Kadet.
To make his preference work, in RSLogix5000 try SLC typed mapping then.

In RSLogix5000 go to the menu bar "Logic" -> "Map PLC/SLC Messages" -> and follow the instructions in the help buttons.

Thanks Mickey and Okie. Yes, it looks like I will have to create an array or arrays in my CLX and then assign a tag name to the array. Then I will have to go to SLC/PLC mapping to assign that tag a file number. This will then allow me to access the data in the old SLC/PLC Nx:xx format that the PV300 desires. Now I have to go through all the extra time to get the 60 values that I want into the proper places in the arrays - a time-consuming task. It would have saved a lot of time and money to have bought an ethernet-enabled HMI such as a PV+ or a good old Red Lion. Now I know why there are not any CLX's in the factory that talk to HMIs via DF1, all of the HMIs are ethernet.

Sometimes saving money, costs money.Well, at least I have learned something new.