HSC on ML1100

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
It's been a long day and i didn't need an error code that says "HSC instruction is not valid on the currently selected processor -- 1763 Micrologix 1100 Series B". So why not already? Do i need a firmware upgrade? If i do, how do i tell what version firmware i currenly am using?

thank you,
narlin

I understand that i have to use the function file for HSC. I just don't know how to implement the HSC instruction and i can't see where the manual says how to do that. In RSLogix500, the HSC is greyed out. I can get to it by putting in CTU and the overtyping HSL which puts he HSC0 as the counter and then i overtype HSC and viola, the instruction is in. BUT, it won't verify. Is there an example somewhere for how to code this thing?

Your primary instructions will be HSL (High Speed Load) to setup and/or change the parameters shown. RAC (Reset Accumulated Value) is used to reset to a specific value, usually zero.

Once the HSC is set up you need to keep energized HSC:0.CE (Count Enable) to let it do its thing. If you are simply counting the current accumulated value is at HSC:0.ACC

As you have found out, the HSC instruction is simply not used with this type unit. It is for the older SLC units.

OK. I'm beginning to get it. not working yet . . .
I have set up an empty subroutine that is listed 1st in the function file & i am more or less working in a different sub with these other instructions. I'll let you know.

Need help

Still trying to make HSC work with ML1100.
I know the input is working because i can make a regular CTU work on the same input channel. So the input is good.

I have defined the HSC function file as follows:
PFN 3 and yes the file exists and is empty.
UIE 1 I think it did that for me
CE 1
LPM, HPM, UFM, OFM = 1 ??
CU = 1
MOD = 0
HIP, LOP, OVF, UNF = default large or negative large numbers
all else = 0

code for counter is
rung 0: xic S:1/15 ------ OTL HSC:0.CE
rung 1: mov source: HSC:0.ACC dest: N7:0
end

What am i missing or doing wrong. She be don't count!

narlin

Place a HSL command (leave default numbers) before enabling the count with the CE.

Make sure to set the input filtering (Under 'I/O configuration' in the manual) to a low enough time value to allow your fastest pulses. By default it is very slow.

Place a HSL command (leave default numbers) before enabling the count with the CE.

Make sure to set the input filtering (Under 'I/O configuration' in the manual) to a low enough time value to allow your fastest pulses. By default it is very slow.

Make sure to set the appropriate 'Base Type' (BWA) to allow the filter setting.

Maybe i will have attached a couple of screenshots showing what i am doing. Seems odd that i can't directly attach an rss file on a plc site, but whatever.

2nd: I'm not blind to the ML1200 file that Mickey directed me too. I tried it, but something in that setup kept causing a fault on my plc. It had to be in the HSC function file because i erased ALL of the other rungs and it still faulted.

Third: The attachments show that i have tried putting in the HSL instruction. That didnt' work either. Speed of counting shouldn't currently be the issue since the CTU will pick up most of the counts from this flow meter. Indeed i can even put nice slow counts in with a 24V wire in my hand and the HSC still doesn't see any counts.

Are we out of ideas?

I'll pick this up again tomorrow. I get up early.

narlin

ScreenShot086.jpg ScreenShot087.jpg

in the HSC Function File try setting:

FE Function Enabled = 1 ... and ...
AS Auto Start = 1 ...

see if that helps ...

I don't have a MLX-1100 to experiment with - but I have a MLX-1500 at the lab and I'll pick it up in the morning ... the HSC stuff looks to be the same ... maybe I can spot something for you by working through a simple setup ... being able to see the complete RSS file will help ...

Last edited:
Hi guys,
This has been enlightening with respect to the flowmeter at least. I have learned that by manipulating the meters amplifier settings that i can slow down the output to the point that a CTU instruction will capture all the counts.

On the other hand, i am way too stubborn to give up on the HSC. Now i want the thing to work just so i don't have to admit defeat.

I have attached the RSS file zipped up. It really is simple. I have the flow-meter connected to I:0/0. In the RSS file, you will see a sub called Regular CT which looks at I:0/1. The sub is never called! When i use it, i have to mechanically move the wire over to I:0/1. The only sub called is Lad 5.

Lad 3, which isn't ever called, is empty and is referenced as PFN in the function file,HSC. Thanks to Mickey for the insight about Lad 3. If the manual says that, it isn't obvious to us Baltimorons.

The I:0/0 input causes I/O monitor blips (its not really a light, but rather a black square on the ML-1100 tiny screen) when it sees 24V and when the flowmeter goes around it blips quite frequently. Just no counts are picked up - probably because the HSC isn't running.

To address Ron's comment about FE and AS: When i put those into the code in Lad 5 as OTL HSC:0/FE or OTL HSC:0/AS then the code wouldn't validate/verify and flagged these instructions as "cannot be written". The manual suggests otherwise and says that FE "can be controlled by the user program or is automatically set by the HSC sub-sysem if auto start is enabled".
Under Auto Start, the manual says that "AS is configured with the programming device and stored as part of the user program". I took this to mean the function file, HSC.

In any event, i did change the function file to assure that both FE and AS were configured as "1".

If you look at this file you will surely understand KISS.
Indeed - i think some complexity may be needed to make it work.

narlin

VIOLA! It is working suddenly. The only thing I changed from my last post was to put a couple of new rungs at the end of Lad 5 that would use a TON to cause an OUTPUT to blink. The reason for that was a suggestion by Ron (not new) to assure myself that the routine was being called.

Is it possible that the other instructions were not sufficiently worthy for the PLC to bother calling the sub? i.e. some kind of compiling goes on between the Ladder input and the runtime code. Could the PLC compile to exclude a subroutine if the subroutine appears to do nothing?

Would someone explain why it working now?

narlin