Abb acs350

gappvembe

Hello,
I know this might not be the proper place to ask, but I googled the ACS350 and it led me to this site, so I thought what the hell I'll give it a shot.

All I want to do with it, is control the speed with the keypad and turn it on with a switch (located on a door). Basically once we figure out the speed, only turn on and off.

This is the first one of these I've toyed with. I'm more familiar with the AB Powerflexs.

Thanks

(I may not respond for a while, but thanks for all your help)

Where did you find that old drive, they don't make them any more. The ACS355 has replaced it.
To answer your question, just fill in the motor data parameters and select the 'Macro" that suits your application. Using the wiring diagram that matches the "Macro" will complete your setup.

Adding just a bit to RussB's comments, you will need to run in Remote mode with the start/stop switch connected to DI1. Select DI1,2 in Parameter 10.01.

Go to Parameter 11.03 and set that to Keypad. That will give you speed control from the keypad even tho the drive is in Remote mode.

I'm close by in Kalamazoo. Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks everyone. I had it going with the keypad yesterday, but for safety's sake, no one else needs to be opening up electrical cabinets and turning the motor on and off. They also don't need to be pressing extra buttons and get me more confused! :rolleyes:

RussB: To answer your question to where we got it, I can say it's been sitting on the shelf for at least 3 years. :ROFLMAO:

DickDV: I had 1001 set to 1 (which is DI1), but not 1103 to 0 (KEYPAD). So thank you for that.

The main issue I had was the wiring:
I had the start on X1A: 9 & 11

It was supposed to be 12, and I knew this, I just mistakenly put it there. šŸ™ƒ

I figured ok, it will work after that. Nope. Looking and looking and looking.
The diagram for the ABB Standard Macro one little thing I finally noticed I was missing.

y4njv.png

šŸ™ƒ

Working like I want it now.

I had it going with the keypad yesterday, but for safety's sake, no one else needs to be opening up electrical cabinets and turning the motor on and off. They also don't need to be pressing extra buttons and get me more confused! :rolleyes:

gappvembe,

I realize that this suggestion won't help in this situation, but it may come in handy somewhere else.

In the programming of the 350 there is some key board lockout options that may help you. Specifically

1602 PARAMETER LOCK Selects the state of the parameter lock. The lock prevents parameter
changing from control panel.
OPEN
LOCKED Parameter values cannot be changed from the control panel. The lock can be
opened by entering the valid code to parameter 1603 PASS CODE.
The lock does not prevent parameter changes made by macros or fieldbus.
OPEN The lock is open. Parameter values can be changed. 1
NOT SAVED Parameter changes made by control panel are not stored into the permanent
memory. To store changed parameter values, set parameter 1607 PARAM
SAVE value to SAVE.

Note the red text. What this will do is allow operators to change settings via the keyboard but not save them. I once had an application where management insisted that the operators be allowed to make preset speed value changes. The issue was that about once a month they would make changes unknowingly to areas that would make the drive not function at all. After implementing option 2 all that was needed to restore the programming was to cycle the input power to the VFD.

Very basic, Dont bother yourself with Macros or the Setup assistant. I am the DSS for ABB in Southern California. What you are trying to accomplish is extremely simple.
Question is whether you want to be able to set a speed reference in Hz or Percent value. Either way it works the same.

If a frequency value: (ref. 1)
Set 1001 to DI1\
Set 1103 to Keypad

Land your wires from the switch on the 24V term and DI1 term.
Do not forget to include a jumper between the DCOM and GND.

If you want to use percent readout value you wire the switch the same. (ref. 2)
Set 1002 to DI1
Set 1102 to EXT 2
Set 1106 to Keypad

Make sure 1601, 1608, and 1609 are set for NOT SEL and put the motor data in Par. Group 99 and you are set.

Last edited:
With the speed reference directed to the keypad, you cannot take the keypad away without faulting the drive. As long as the start/stop, forward/reverse, or speed reference is directed to the keypad, it cannot be removed without a fault.

Good stuff, VFDTech. Welcome to the BBS.

hello

i have a question about the ACS350 signal wiring. I have a PLC and want to use it to sent an analog command to the ACS350 to set the speed and i want the PLC to recieve the analog output from the drive that gives speed, (AI1 and A0 as above)

the PLC i have will generate its own internal 0...10V singal and i am worried that the ACS350 will not accept is if i wire the + into terminal 2 and the - into ternimal 3 as above? i may have a similar problem wiht the anaog output from the drive to the plc?

dose anyone know if ill have grounding issues??

i am having some other slight problems if anyone has time to give me a hand:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=84530&highlight=acs350

thanks