Weird VPN thing?

BillRobinson

So I'm trying to connect to a test chassis that's on my workplace's network from an outside network via a VPN connection . I make the VPN connection, am able to ping the PLC (CTLX5000, 1756-ENBT/B -> 1756-L55/A), but when I try to bring up card's webpage (192.168.111.200) I get a splash screen for IIS7 (internet information services {see attached}). Also LINX can't find the controller. Anybody have something similar happen to them?

welcome.png

That's a Windows Server running IIS.... probably the one that's providing the VPN.

There must be some setting in which all HTTP passing through the VPN is getting routed to the server, rather than the controller.

The RSLinx Classic "EtherNet/IP" driver doesn't work through most VPNs because it uses a broadcast packet that isn't easily forwarded. Use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and specify ":EIP" after the IP address for best results with VPNs.

I like to use the "TCPING" utility on TCP Port 44818 to check connectivity over VPN and other wide-area networks that might prohibit or redirect things like ordinary PING or HTTP.

First off thank you for showing me TCPING, I'll keep that one in my toolkit.

TCPING is showing that 44818 is open, and I am using the Ethernet devices driver and it is coming back with a RSLinx Server Icon instead of the PLC chassis.

I think Ken is on to something - you may be getting some PATing (port address translation).

A few things:
1. With the VPN disconnected, try to ping that IP address.
2. What kind of VPN client are you using (windows, Cisco, etc)?