SLC Rack as remote I/O...

escoplcguy

hey guys!

I am developing a project to upgrade all controllers to controlLogix......I have most of my problems solved except for one last one, I am eventually going to have the plant order Panelview plus 6's in replace for our old PV standard 600. but that may not happen as early as I thought, so now I am to look at this again.
currently we have 2 slc 5/03's talking to 2 pv600's through port 0 dh-485. the SLC 5/03 controller's are going to be replaced with ASB and I am going to lose my dh-485 port. originally they said lets just replace the panelviews, so easy enough they were to be ethernet controlled PV+ but after I showed them the cost they want to try to keep the standard PV's for a few more years. I do have empty slots in my slc racks and my question is...

can I put a 1747-KE in each rack and connect to the PV this way?? the rack is to be controlled by the control logix controller.
quite similar is another rack that is a PLC-5.
their is a pv1400e connected to a plc-5 on DH+ since I am asking about the one I figured I would just double check with the experts that the 1756-DHRIO card can communicate with the 1400e as if there was no change (granted all the tags in the 1400e and controllogix are the same.)

The 1747-KE modules only receive power (and rarely, configuration) through the backplane. They use their DF1 serial port to communicate with the SLC-5/0x controller, not the backplane.

This is a tricky and maybe expensive problem. I don't know if there is a Prosoft module you could install to emulate an SLC data table via DH485 protocol over an RS-232 link, then use Block Transfer instructions to transfer that data to the ControlLogix. The cost of the module and your time to alter the program might be significant in comparison to the cost of a new HMI.

If you can run an RS-485 cable along with the new "blue hose" for RIO, you could connect the PanelViews to the serial port of the ControlLogix or to a 1756-DH485 module.

makes sence, but to be certain, how far can i run the dh-485 cable. also, they dont make opened cables so is this were the "blue hose" comes in? cause the panelViews have that flat long end to the RJ-45 looking end. so i assum i need to take the existing PV cable cut off the one end and wire it to the "blue hose RIO" cable then extend to the main controller which has this prosoft card in it?

if these are the steps then yes selling a new PV+ would be much easier, ESP since i have already converted the programs with factory talks coversion tool.

"blue hose" is for RIO/DH+, not DH485. Ken is saying since you're pulling blue hose anyway (for the RIO adapters) then go ahead and pull Belden 9842 cable alongside it for the DH485. DH485 can handle great distances...I would have to RTFM for specifics.

What about some other brand of ethernet HMI that's less expensive than the PV+?

If you must keep the PV standard with DH485, you can probably set up a network going back to the main Controllogix rack where you can install a 1756-DH485 module. I think you'd need a 1747-NET-AIC at each DH485 node. I would have to defer to Ken and other A/B experts as to whether this is a valid answer.

In addition to what OkiePC Said you can also use belden # 3106A if you can stil get it.

You use the can also use the 1756-DH485 module but you will need a 1761-NET-AIC module also.

what are good comparsion HIM's with ethernet support, we have factory talk could i just mount a small PC load factroy talk and run off a touch screen mounted where the old PV600 was???

Hey bringing up an old thread,

we decided not to go with the control logix as main work horse.

we are going to upgrade some of our older stuff tho to get on a ethernet network. We will be swapping out our SLC 5/03's with 5/05's

i bring up this older thread cause i wanted to tweek my original question....our PV600 is connected to CH-0 on the SLC which is dh-485.....the PV only accepts DH-485, there is a serial port but from what i have read this is only for a printer....

if i put in the 1747-KE and connect the 5/05 serial port to the KE serial port could i then talk to the PV600 through the KE's DH-485 port??

hope this makes sense..and thank you!

Why not just configure the SLC5/05's serial port for DH485?

What is the complete catalog number of your PV?

the plug that goes into the PV is a weird flat plug and the other end of the cable that goes into the plc is a regular dh-485 (like a cat-5) plug

See pictures and pdf below for connecting to the SLC's serial port configured for DH485.

connectionDH485PV.jpg DH485Cable.jpg

Attachments

• 1761-CBL-AS03 & 1761-CBL-AS09 Cable Pin-Out.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 7
Yes, your description of using the 1747-KE to connect the PanelView and the SLC-5/05 would work, but there is an easier and less expensive way.

Configure the SLC-5/05 serial port for DH485 mode, and use a 1761-NET-AIC isolator/signal converter module to connect to the PanelView.

Use an ordinary 1747-CP3 cable to connect the SLC-5/05 to the 1761-NET-AIC (or build one, but the CP3 has a very nice right-angle end on it).

The 6-screw "trunk" connector on the Net-AIC can connect to the 2711-K6C2's "RJ45" type connector. Use a 1761-CBL-AS03 or -AS09 cable (pre-built) or make an equivalent cable.

Cable pinout:
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15986/

This connection should show in the AIC+ User Manual... yep, page 24.

You could also use a serial cable from the SLC-5/05 to the round connector on the AIC+, shown as the 1761-CBL-PM02 or 1761-CBL-AP00 cables on the top half of that page. Just substitute your SLC-5/05 for the PC in these diagrams.