Allen Bradley 1746-ITB16 Fast sink card

Jezz

Hi All,
Just a quick question, this is the first time I've had to use a 1746-ITB16 fast sink card do I need to use any special code in the soft ware or will the card just react faster than a normal card, it's conected to an encoder so we are reading the position and reacting on that data?

Thanks

Last edited:
Typically the ITB16 OR ITV16 is used with the Discrete Input Interrupt (DII) function to react rapidly to an I/O event.

Is the encoder an incremental or absolute encoder ? Fast Input modules are ideal for use with absolute encoders (like Grey Code) but your success with incremental encoders depends entirely on how fast the encoder pulses are coming in.

It's a absolute encoder (grey code), how do you use the DII, some one else started this and I've got it to finish he's set up some DII such as the card number , a mask and a compare value Set to zero (S:47,S:48 and S:49) but do we really need to use this and if so how?

The DII is not required to make use of the 1746-ITV16 but it is used often because it maximizes the performance of the fast card.

What is the maximum speed of the encoder ?

What is the resolution of the Gray Code ?

The DII is well documented in the SLC-500 Modular Controller User Manual and in the RSLogix 500 online help. Start there to understand how to select the Mask (I would use the lowest-significant bit) and how to point to the Subroutine File that will contain the Gray -> binary conversion ladder logic.

There are several good RA Knowledgebase articles about Gray Code to binary conversion.

Common mistake I made above: "Gray Code" is named after the Bell Labs researcher Frank Gray. I often mis-remember the spelling of his name.

Thanks Ken I've been looking for a manual but couldn't find any thing I'll have a read up

Last edited: