guidance downloading to PanelViewPlus 1000 please

realolman

I have a new file I want to download to a PanelViewPlus 1000. Am I correct in thinking that it will store a number of files and you can choose which one runs. (external and internal storage??)

I uploaded the .mer file and recovered it ... deleted the alarms macros parameters and datalog files... I willbe putting it back as a version 5 so it can be modified in the future... that's what the whole deal was about. I don't understand what will or will not be happening now that those files are gone

I would like to download my new file and try it, but I want to be sure I can go back to the original file easily if I need to.

Would you give me some guidance on what exactly I need to do to accomplish that, and what I need to watch out for..PanelView plus 1000 and FactoryTalkStudio ME

Any and all advice would be appreciated... I am not as sharp as I ought to be, and i don't want to screw this up

thank you

Last edited:
You can't run a version 5.x .mer file in a PV+ with firmware version 4.z, so you need to create a runtime file (with FTView version 5.x) for a PV+ with version 4.z This will not gain you anything except the opportuinty to see what's missing and how the system performs with no alarms, no users, etc.

In most cases, the PV+ can store multiple applications on its internal storage. External storage refers to the CF card (and perhaps a USB drive).

If you download over ethernet, in most cases you want to store the file in internal storage. If you use a CF card to transfer the new file, you want to copy from external storage to internal storage, remove the CF card, then open the internal application and run it. The PV+ should warn you if it doesn't have enough room to store the application. You can always copy the running application to the CF card (or upload it) and put it back if necessary, so long as the firmware in the PV+ remains unchanged.

Once you get all the details sorted out with your new file, then you can update the firmware of the PV+ from 4.z to 5.x and then you will able to recover the thing if you again lose the apa file.

With the PV+, make sure you keep a backup (or three) of all the apa files used at your facility. I have been in your shoes too, and had to do the same thing, luckily, we had no logging and few alarms and users to figure out.

Last edited:
You can't run a version 5.x .mer file in a PV+ with firmware version 4.z, so you need to create a runtime file (with FTView version 5.x) for a PV+ with version 4.z This will not gain you anything except the opportuinty to see what's missing and how the system performs with no alarms, no users, etc.

I need to be able to modify the PV+ application... that was the goal of the whole ordeal. You mean I STILL can't do that? How do I find out the firmware version of the PV+?

Once you get all the details sorted out with your new file, then you can update the firmware of the PV+ from 4.z to 5.x and then you will able to recover the thing if you again lose the apa file..

I wish I knew better what you mean there... I am afraid that the devil is always in the details.

At first I when I tried to test it in FTVStudio, it complained of not being able to compile alarms.

What can I do about that to make it happy. I deleted the alarm files as it said in the recovery proceedure, and I tried to delete the others in FTVStudio but there didn't seem to be anything to delete. I don't know what it wants in the way of alarms.

Also it complained about runtime security... I have two copies of this thing with different names in FTVStudio and at one point it showed two of the users as being a bunch of garbage... I deleted them and the runtime security seems happy with that, but I'll be durned if I can accomplish that with the other app.

With the PV+, make sure you keep a backup (or three) of all the apa files used at your facility. .

believe me ...that is one part of this deal I now understand

Sorry about the double post.. I just searched and found a thread from this site where a guy suggested that you could possibly use the alarm files from an outdated .apa file.

I have had an .apa file all along, but it resembles the current app about as much as i resemble Arnold Swartzenegger ( or some other strong athletic type ) we both have a head, arms, and legs

I do believe, however that the alarms could very well be clolse enough though... using windows explorer, I copied the .mal file to the recovered project, and it seemed to make it happy when I tested it!

no complaints any way.

Any further info anybody wants to throw in here, I'd surely appreciate it.. I still don't understand the PV+ version 4 and 5 firmware thing.

thanks again.. you folks are the best... really.

when you boot your panel, it will tell you the version.

I test my apps in ME Station, then run them on the panel off a USB stick, leaving the original internal. When all is good I'll copy internal. As mentioned, keep backup copies of all your files.