Personal use laptop.

olsq

The stars have aligned, and I finally get to get a new(first) laptop for my self.
There are quite a few threads on here about work/professional computers. I have neither the need or budget for one of those.
At home all I do is ck my email, this forum and play around with a small Microgix1000(1761-l10bwa).
I use Micro starter lite and RsLinx lite(the free stuff).
Opinions on brands, software and price would be appreciated.
I was thinking 400-800 dollar range.
Thanx for taking the time to read this.

I've had good luck with Dells. Just remember the bulk of them don't have serial ports so put some money in for a USB PM02 for your Micrologix. Honestly for what you want, I wouldn't have a problem getting a refurbished one off of eBay.

I've beaten the heck out of Dell Latitudes for years and had really good luck. I cracked the frame hinges on a D610 and they were able to repair it.

Cheap refurbs are available from Overstock.com at very good prices; from their inventory I'd get a D630 for around $300.

Dell Outlet has newer and better condition refurbs that still fit in your price range. I also recommend Latitude E-series if you're going newer; some of those had genuine serial ports, and the slim docking station works just like onboard ports.

Thanks for the input. I took a look at the models mentioned on ebay and overstock. The price is right but I was thinking brand new. I am going to go big or go home. I want a full keyboard and a big old screen. I have loaded the AB free stuff on the wife's laptop.It seems to work ok on the windows 7 home premium. I have not actually connected to the ML1000 w/ it because of the serial port issue. I just figured I would get a usb to serial adapter. Every one seems to praise the "Keyspan" ( USA-HS19).
Thanks again for responding. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I totally agree with Ken. I have been using Dell Latitudes for years and have really beaten them up. If you get a Dell D630 like Tom mentioned you can get the extended battery, and it comes with a real serial port.

The real serial port is a must have these days when dealing with legacy equipment. If your devices are sensitive, finicky, support handshaking you ARE going to have problems with your serial communications with stability and reliability using a USB adapter.

You can buy brand new Dells with serial ports, but the price instantly jumps to $2500 or more (canadian). I just buy 2 at once when I use them for work, clone the drive and have a backup for when one starts to have problems for the same price as a new one. Plus you got spare parts when things go really bad.