Couple RSLogix Questions

wijoseph

Hey all-

I'm a total n00b when it comes to PLC programming so I apologize in advance for the stupidity of these questions.

I'm using RSLogix Micro Starter Lite to program a 1100 controller.

First off, I read in some of Rockwell's documentation that putting output commands on a ladder rung can be done in series. However, when I verify my file, it says this is not allowed and forces me to put them in parallel. It appears that when I put, let's say, 3 output commands in series, it treats the first 2 as conditionals and only the last (right-most) command as an actual command.
My question is: will putting them in parallel have the effect I'm looking for (executing all commands together) and can outputs simply not be placed in series?

Secondly, I'm getting an error that says "Invalid file type specified" when trying to add a numeric value
(-0.5061186478) to a FLOAT variable. I don't think this a truncation issue, since this error only goes away when I swap the value out with an integer. Is there any way around this?

The second question leads into my third: I am using FLOAT variables that require very high precision (8+ decimal places). I can't actually test my code in the PLC system for logistical reasons, so can anyone tell me if I'm in trouble hoping for this precision once I go live with the PLC system?

Thanks in advance for all the assistance. You guys/gals have been a huge help for me in the past.

My question is: will putting them in parallel have the effect I'm looking for (executing all commands together) and can outputs simply not be placed in series?

Yes,
No - not in RSLogix 500, though RSLogix 5000 permits this.

Secondly, I'm getting an error that says "Invalid file type specified" when trying to add a numeric value
(-0.5061186478) to a FLOAT variable.

Can you post an image of the instruction? Do you have a float file set up?

The second question leads into my third: I am using FLOAT variables that require very high precision (8+ decimal places). I can't actually test my code in the PLC system for logistical reasons, so can anyone tell me if I'm in trouble hoping for this precision once I go live with the PLC system?

No, you won't get that precision. Roughly 7 decimal places is the best you get.

Last edited:
Hey Bernie, thanks for the response.

I figured out the problem I was having with the second question. I was entering " -0.5..." instead of "-0.5...". The leading white space was causing a syntax error.

Thanks again.