OT VMware

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are a small shop, and recently added a third laptop for Field use. Loading the software, configuration, and all has become a bear, and near impossible keep things similar between computers (Non-dedicated users).

I was recently looking at virtualization (vmware), as many seem to use it here and our new PC is Windows 7. I was thinking that I could update and test an image on my desktop, then move it to a field laptop. After some use with VMPlayer, it doesn't look like this is possible, because of Windows, and software activation (Everytime I move). Is anybody using virtulization in this way, or am I misunderstanding the benifits of it.

Thanks

Licensing issues aside, that should work. The VM images should work on any machine running under VMware Player or Workstation. What issue are you having?

For one, I believe that windows see's a different processor, and wants to re-activate. Most of our RS activations are still the evri.sys, but. (shouldn't be a problem) and We have one that is factory talk. I haven't worked on setting up an activation server on the host yet, and don't know if our activation will allow it. We have a Dell D820, D830, and E5510. As well as a couple Dell desktops. Certainly different processor types. Off hand just using VMPlayer it seems like this is going to be just as much hassle. I would gladly purchase software if it was reasonable, and would make things easier. I would love to be able to virtualized software, and be able to move it onto a laptop as needed. I think we are at the middle point, where I am the only IT and main user, yet occasionally we need the additional support of additional PC's. ItJ's just getting difficult to maintain.

I've done this w/ VMware and Rockwell Software.

When i'm building my host image I leave it unactivated in all ways, Then clone to a base image I can use to deploy. Deploy from the base image, Activate as necessary, awwwaaayyy you go!

If you have a FactoryTalk license server and concurrent licenses, it is even easier. Just make sure you don't have a license checked out when you clone the image.

That would work for backup's, but not for testing, and distributing updates... Which would be a big plus for any purchase. Think I just had my hopes too high, when I read the brochure.