Creating Recipes in Controller (RsLogix500)

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, back again for some help from the pros. This time with creating a recipes in the controller Slc 5/04 using RsLogix 500
From all the searching on the forum I dug up quite a bit of information on indirect addressing , but I don’t quite get how they work, and how do I use them in creating recipes.
The equipment is a continues dip type fryer, basically it’s a 20 feet by 4 feet wide gas heated unit with two conveyors immersed in vegetable oil. The product rides in between the two conveyors in order to immerse the product in oil. Hopefully this will give you a basic sketch of what I’m dealing with. Anyways we are rebuilding this fryer from ground up and I was asked to do the controls.
I’d like the operator to be able to create, save and choose a recipe for a given product, right now we have about six different products that go thru the fryer but I’d like to keep some reserve for future and go up to 20 recipes.
In the recipe edit page I would like to have the following set points that the operator can change and save

Product name:
Temperature set point:
Dwell time:
In feed conveyor: Auto/Manual
Air knife: On/Off
For the HMI we will use a Panelview 600 standard, and communicate with the SLC thru DH+. Can anyone help out in pointing me in a right direction. I will be posting progress as I go along.
Thank You

Create separate files for each parameter and make each file 20 elements long. In your case you can use 4 separate files.

ST11 - Recipe names
N12 - Recipe temperature setpoints
N13 - Dwell times
B14 - Modes, B14:x/0 is Auto/Manual and B14:x/1 is Air Knife On/Off

You can then access all of the recipe parameters using a single pointer which is the recipe number as an indirect address and move those values to the desired locations.

See the attached for a quick and dirty example that will hopefully get you started.

Click here to see forum post with an explanation of indirect addresses.

OK, noting his CPU I retract my warning.

It is the Micrologix only which have the 'feature' and the error only shows up when verifying a project, not when accepting a rung or verifying a file.

Last edited:
We did ours with a PanelView 600 and SLC 505 no indirect addressing. Tumblers and Fryer. On the screen we placed numbers for the product, the opperator logs in and has can choose what they want. All the values are already there from the spec. sheet. Hey keep it simple.

I do recipes on our SLC 5/04 all the time, I store about 255 words of data for each recipe, and each machine can have a minimum of 20 recipes.

What I do is assign ALL variables as entered from the PanelView, to N13:xx, this is my working register. When they need to save them they go to the Mold Record screen and select the record number to save (or load), enter the record name (12 characters in an ST file), then press the Save button (or Restore).

The program then moves the first 128 words to the correct register as offset by the record number, and then the second 128 words to the second half of the register (the COP instruction can only handle 128 words per instruction).

The name file is independent but in order, STn:0 = Record 0.

The indirect addressing is pretty easy, just be careful of the syntax.

Create separate files for each parameter and make each file 20 elements long. In your case you can use 4 separate files.
ST11 - Recipe names
N12 - Recipe temperature set points
N13 - Dwell times
B14 - Modes, B14:x/0 is Auto/Manual and B14:x/1 is Air Knife On/Off

You can then access all of the recipe parameters using a single pointer which is the recipe number as an indirect address and move those values to the desired locations.

See the attached for a quick and dirty example that will hopefully get you started.
Thank You good chunk of info. I know how the indirect addressing works now.
All though this has got me cornered again, with editing the recipe, should the same data pointer (N7:0) be used for edit of the recipe?
I want the operator to enter the recipe number press the edit button than that will automatically make a screen change to the recipe edit screen. Once in the recipe edit screen I move the valued from the selected recipe so the operator can view what the settings are. I'm having difficulty to write the "MODES" of the air knife and the in feed conveyor to the screen . I have added to the program that Alaric had made, take a look.
Again Thanks for all the tips,and help guys.

I'm having difficulties moving the bit value of the "MODES" from the HMI to the Recipe destination and from the recipe destination to the HMI display.
Can anyone help.

Please create a new thread with more details about your specific application.

This thread is several years old and specifically describes recipe handling inside an SLC-500 family PLC controller.

The first piece of data you'll want to include in your new post is which brand and type of HMI software you are using as well as some additional information about your recipe application.