[OT] - CCTV Recommendations

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
We are preparing to install a new production line in our facility and one of the features we need is a CCTV system with up to four cameras and a single screen on the Op Station to monitor them. The preference would be to have a touchscreen where the main display shows a quadrant grid with each image in a quad. To look more closely at any one image, the operator would touch that quad and the display would zoom to a full screen of that image. Touch it again and the image would return to the main display showing all four images.

I have never had to purchase or specify a CCTV system so I am hoping others here have and have some recommendations of systems - cameras, touchscreens, etc. Both good and bad experiences are welcome. Furthermore, are there any traps out there that the I might want to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I don't know of any that work off of a touchscreen, except for IP based cameras. For straight video cameras, we generally use a large (HDTV) display from a discount shop (TigerDirect, WalMart, etc) and a multiplexer like any of these:
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/CCTV-Video-Multiplexers-s/76.htm

We do have a few IP based cameras here, which do work with touchscreens, but also require that the TS be attached to a computer running an OS and all of the associated costs and headaches.

I am not too concerned about installing a PC based touchscreen since I am going to want one for data acquisition anyway, but I appreciate the input.

I like the look of the Milestone XProtect software and there seem to be lots of options for IP cameras.

rdrast - in another thread you indicated you might have some PC based touchscreens you liked. Care to share some info?

Steve

Last edited: