Siemens S7-300 , remote programming

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I am looking into remote access for modifications/ customer support.

I will not be able to VPN so am considering 3G connection with a remote aerial on the outside of a building, or alternatively a dial up connection

Any does/donts recommendations appreciated

Hello,

What do you think about lap top (Simatic Manager installed
), connected both to PLC via PC Adapter and Internet, and TeamViewer or VNC running?

Hi I was thinking more on the lines of a Siemens TS unit that required a phone line

This will be at a customers site and they refuse us ethernet/vpn etc even though they could plug/unplug easily. Basically I was thinking of 3G but I guess this would cost $$$ in line rental.

Hi

I use a (e w o n) unit with MPI/profibus port incorporated, It has a sim card in from a normal PAYG dongle (T mobile)then connect through whats known as (t a l k 2 m)... works a treat, only need to top it up when I need to transfer data, other than that the connection remains constant, no line rental to pay...

Regards

john

Last edited:
Manny job site are afraid of VPN connection and usually when i ask, they are aware of being hawked by anyone so having no outside route give them a peace of mind but....
Dial up Modem are a bit phased out but works as long as you have plenty of time...

I like the idea of a local laptop filled with Step 7 and teamviewer, you can ship the laptop when it is needed and get it back after...

Manny job site are afraid of VPN connection and usually when i ask, they are aware of being hawked by anyone so having no outside route give them a peace of mind but....
Dial up Modem are a bit phased out but works as long as you have plenty of time...

I like the idea of a local laptop filled with Step 7 and teamviewer, you can ship the laptop when it is needed and get it back after...

And not even mentioning how you need vpn or 3g to connect to that...

Our vpn that is given to outsiders works so that there is hw that shows pass number that changes every few minutes and it is kept in here. If we need support trough vpn we then give the pass number for that time.

Hi my customers are mainly pharma/healtchcare and dont want us on their nrtworks.

So... what is best 3g method of connecting to S7

Installing remote pc for vnc isnt an option

Like I said the best way to go is via 3G using a E W O N unit... I use this method for several clients in various industries including automotive and pharma with no problems... ABB robotics also use this setup for remote assistance on all of there new robots now !! you can connect over MPI or Profibus depending upon your preferance at various speeds... S7 teleservice is very rarely used now !!

Regards

John Vincent