Loging onto PLC 5/12 and errors

showshocka

Hi. I first have this problem with this PLC 5/12. Each time i restore line power after shutting down i have to reset the PLC, it comes on with and error. OK, so when i try to log on to it, to investigate more, no luck. It only has the small serial cable peer access to the laptop. I try to use the kt-1 DH+ comms and the DH-485 comms. no luck on either one. i can't get the kt-1's error comms in the rslinx to clear, and that's with all the other drivers disabled. When i try to use the DH-485 drivers in the comms it indicates "RUNNING" in RSlinx, but when i go to comms in RSlogix to see the PLC listed the PLC is not listed under my workstation.

Last edited:
Remember that the PLC-5/12 is a "PLC-5 Classic" controller, along with the more-common PLC-5/15 and PLC-25.

That 9-pin connector is a "Peer Communication Link", which is Data Highway Plus. It is NOT an RS-232 connector. Do not attempt to connect it to your PC with a serial cable.

The usual connection to the PLC-5/12 is with a 1784-PCMK card and the 1784-PCM5 cable, which has a corresponding 9-pin "PCL" connector. These controllers only supported DH+ protocol at 57.6 kb/s.

Focus on the 1784-PCMK and the DH+ driver. Is there any other code or message other than "ERROR" ? Has the 1784-PCMK run in this computer before ?

HMMM? When all else fails I would delete all the drivers. Shut down RsLinx then delete the "harmony files" see how-to below. Then start RsLinx and add just the DH+ driver for your PCMK card.
Also try a different station number in RSLinx something other then "0" ( 77 maybe)

Do you have the offline file for your PLC5/12? If so post it here ( zip it first)

4) DELETE HARMONY Files;
(it may be necessary to Reboot the computer first)
- Find Files or Folders;
- Search; HARMONY*.*
(typically they will be found in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON)
- DELETE both;
HARMONY.HRC
HARMONY.RSH
(RSLinx will recreate these files automatically)

Last edited:
Do you have the offline file for your PLC5/12? If so post it here ( zip it first)
I'm sure in do. Being that I have never logged on to the PLC I was hoping that it would've picked where the file is when I attempt to log on.

I'm sure I do. Being that I have never logged on to the PLC I was hoping that it would've picked where the file is when I attempt to log on.