TIA Portal review.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is a work in progress.

I have just had a few hours with the software, and have only been through most of the STEP7 part. The WinCC part has to wait a couple of days. In other words, it is quite superficial, but I think that a full review will take months, so I have started an incremental review.

Installation time is approx 1.5 hours, with 3 reboots.

General usage:

You need a large monitor. It works OK with my 24" screen plus additional 19" screen. I can put the "Properties" window on the small screen. That increases the useful area in the most important window, the editor view.
But if you have a laptop with just a small 17" screen, it will be painful.

The speed of the software seems so-so. The first time it has to create a project it takes quite a long time to create all the directories etc.
After that there seem to be a tiny bit of delay after you drag-and-drop something for example.

The interface is very mouse-intensive.
For drag-and-drop, a small niggle that reminds of WinCC Flex, is that you cannot directly select and drag an element. You have to first select with a click on the element, and then you can click and drag the selected element. Irritating. This seems to be the same for all editors and dialogs.

The hardware and network configuration:

It takes a lot of getting used to, but seems to be logically organised. It is much more slick and visual, which is nice of course.

The LAD editor:

In the declaration of variables, there is a drop down menu for the various types. Very similar to the old editor.
The IEC timer TON was not in the drop down menu.
There is an instruction menu from where you can drag-and-drop for example the TON instruction. You dont have to add the SFBs or SFCs manually which is a step forward.
The logical step would be to drag-and-drop TON from the instruction menu to the declaration list, but that does not work. However, you can just type in "TON" and the editor figures out that you mean to add the TON SFC. (this is the first example that drag-and-drop that does not work ;) ). I am guessing that this is persistent for all multi instance FB calls, but I will have to do some further testing.

In the block editor there is a user-configurable instruction toolbar. So you can drag-and-drop you favourite instructions to this toolbar. That is fine, but it would be even better if you could assign short-cut keys to these favourite instructions. I have not found (yet) if this is possible.

The IEC timers are different to the old version. Now there is no EN or ENO. The TON block simply appears in the middle of the rung where you need it. I shall have to investigate further what that means to the functionality.
When adding an IEC timer, a dialog pops up where you can choose the IDB or the multi-instance name. Strangely you cannot browse to an already configured TON declaration. If you close the dialog, then you can manually enter, or even browse to the configured declaration. Thats a bit inconsistent.

Good is that you can save even if the code is not finished, with non-closed rungs for example.

Scrolling with the mouse is snappy. On the other hand, I cannot figure out how to quickly browse through rungs with the keyboard.

The SCL editor:

It is now not 100% text based. The declaration part is done via the declaration editor, similar as with LAD or FBD.
So you can forget about posting full code sample by simple text cut-and-paste, such as when you want to send some SCL code by email or in a document, or in a web-site. (corrected, see next post !)
THIS I DO NOT LIKE !!!!
It was really a breese to quickly edit variables before. Now you have to do the dance by moving back and forth between two windows in the editor.

It also seems that you can only edit one block at a time. Not like before where you could start with a UDT, then continue with a DB with the same UDT inside, and continue again with an FB or FC using both UDT and DB inside the FB or FC.
THIS IS A STEP BACKWARDS !!!! (I might be wrong. Maybe there is a way to edit several blocks in one editor view as before.)

And how does one create UDTs and DBs in SCL ? Has that gone too ?

There is an auto-indentation, and further goodies that assist in editing quickly. So it is not all bad.

The UDT editor:

It is logical enough. But it is just much more cumbersome than in SCL.

The DB editor:

I have absolutely no fun with this editor !
Creating DBs in the DB editor is even worse than creating UDTs. The speed with which you create DBs is down by a factor 10-20 when compared to the old method in SCL.
It is also more tedious than the old DB editor. Thats just my feeling of it.

To be continued.......

(you are welcome to correct my findings, or to add you own discoveries or opinions).

Last edited:
The first correction already :)

Regarding export and import of SCL code:
There is a function to export a complete SCL block as text, including the declaration.
And conversely, there is a method to import SCL code via "SCL source" text files.

However, editing the SCL code in the main editor is by separate declaration and code.

Jesper,

I'm curious about the cost of this software. I see complaints all the time about the cost of Rockwell Software. Is this Siemens package in the same price range as RA or much lower priced?

I'm enjoying your review so far by the way.

Thank you!

So, they really killed STL???
Only for the 1200 as I understand it. My understanding is that in the 1200 STL would be an emulation and would therefore have no speed advantage over the other programming methods (in fact, it would be substantially slower), so the 1200s will never get STL.

The 300- and 400-series will keep STL, however.

Answers to questions.

jcr said:
I'm curious about the cost of this software. I see complaints all the time about the cost of Rockwell Software. Is this Siemens package in the same price range as RA or much lower priced?
Overall, the price level for the software is the same for Siemens and RA.
Siemens hardware is significantly less expensive than AB hardware. Something like 15-35% less for the same functionality.
The main difference is that RA forces you into a support contract. As a professional developer, or as an end-customer you cannot live without a support contract. I have heard wildly varying quotes as to what this adds to the cost. Something between 25% and 100% extra expense over the long time.
Siemens has a SUS contract system as well, but it is not the same, and you dont need it to get support.
(NB. I think that further discussion about this topic should be in a separate thread).

Saperov said:
How about PLCSIM ?
It old v5.4 ? or new and support S7-1200 ?
No PLCSIM support for S7-1200. But it must come sooner or later.

STL??? said:
Can you upload online DB values in the new software?
I am struggling with the online simulation at the moment. I have loaded a program in the simulator, but I get an uninformative errormessage when I try to watch the DB online. "Unknown. Error in lower-level component". So I will have to check that later.

Jeebs said:
So, they really killed STL???
No. It is still there (dont know if it is available for S7-1200, guess it isnt). However, I am not going to test STL (!).

STL??? said:
Can you upload online DB values in the new software?
I havent got it to work yet, but there is a button "snapshot of the monitored values" which sets the monitored actual values as initial values. So it seems that they have been listening to some of our complaints. :)

Since we are mostly STL based, I'm glad they didn't remove it.
Will however take a year or more before we start using the new TIA.
People over here are ..... well the only word worh using is conservative.
New projects, developped out of house, are requested in WinCC 6.2 for example, while our inhouse projects are running on WinCC 7.2.

Thanks for keeping us informed, can't wait for the next updates.

STEP7 v11 continued:

General:

Every time you have to open a window for the 1st time, it takes 5-10 seconds. It is like WinCC Flex 2004 with a slow PC.

The new color scheme is very confusing. Sometimes orange means online view, sometimes not. Pink seems to indicate problems.

DB online view:

I cannot figure out how to change actual values online.
I also cannot see the absolute address like the old style "data view" did.

Variable Table view:

I cannot browse already configured DB addresses.

Moving on to WinCC. It is more probable that I would start with WinCC v11 than STEP7 v11. This mostly because of the new exciting comfort panels.

So, after a half day with WinCC ....

Installation of WinCC Professional on top on an already installed WinCC Basic took 1 hour and 1 reboot.

WinCC Property view of screen object:
This one kills me. The size of the field for the Tag is far far too small. Just like in WinCC Flexible !
You cannot see the whole tag name, or address, unless they are unrealistically short.
How can they repeat this error which has been complained about ad nauseam ?

WinCC browsing for PLC tags:
This is the much-touted integration with the CPU.
Works OK, but there is nothing new when compared to the older Flexible.

WinCC connection setup:
This is the 1st serious issue so far.
I have both 315-2PNDP and KP700 connected to the same network, but I still cannot specify the 315-2PNDP as the partner.
I have no idea what I do wrong, and WinCC doesnt help me. I think it is a bug in the current release. I tried to "interconnect" the ports on the 3415-2PNDP and the KP700. When interconnecting the ports on the 315-2PNDP, the KP700 did not show up. When interconnecting the ports on the KP700, the 315-2PNDP showed up twice (!). When I chose one of the ports on one of the 315-2PNDP's, TIA portal crashed. After reboot, this anomaly diosappeared and I could interconnect the devices; but STILL NOT POSSIBLE TO CREATE CONNECTION BETWEEN 315-PNDP AND KP700, despite that they are interconnected 100%.
I can setup the connection manually, but it is the integration that I want to test. If setup manually, the tag integration does not work.
Unfortunately, this more or less stops me in my tracks at the moment. I shall fight on ...

I'm getting the betatester blues here.

In an attempt to get a project to work on, I tried running a working STEP7 v5.5 + WinCC Flex project through the migration tool.

Had to upgrade the HMI to Flex 2008 SP2.
Had to disable the webserver on the CPU.
Had to update i/o modules to very latest versions.
Had to run a consistency check.
Still, I get an "error during migration" message, with zero explanation as to what is wrong.

So, I am stuck again. :mad: