Wireless Network

naegely

We have approximately 30 machines on the plant floor, each with a CompactLogix 1769-L32E processor. We want to begin collecting some data from these machines via OPC (Kepserver).

Now I know I can (and have) connected to the processor over wireless using a basic D-Link home router connected to the built in ENET port of the PLC, and was hopeful that it might be as simple as putting a router in each machine, but I'm being told that wireless access points can't connect to the PLC through the router.

I have no background in IT or networking, but can anyone tell me the most straightforward way to get the data from these processors wirelessly over to our OPC server on the wired network?

Thanks for any help,

Rob

Why can't you hard wire the cLXs together? Are they far apart? The cost of all the wireless equipment should be taken into account. Even though its for monitoring purposes, I wouldn't use home networking equipment in a factory enviroment. I know Prosoft makes good industrial wireless equipment, but it does get expensive. My $0.02 worth.

Sure, Find someone w/ a background in networking and have them help.

*IF* you have an existing wireless infrastructure(Access points, etc) AND it is setup for process you could use a series of Wireless Bridges. These would plug into the PLC and via wireless communicate back to the APs.

If the above is true, You should also have a network admin, find them and enlist their help to get something setup.
If you just throw 30 home routers on the plant floor, You'll clobber any existing wireless infrastructure.

Thanks guys,

Yeah, the equipment is fairly spread out and is semi-portable, so the decision was made to go wireless.

I'm trying to find a local professional to consult, just thought I would ask here. Our IT support is from a contract company and while they have told me what won't work, they haven't been helpful in offering solutions.

Ok, well since it sounds like you don't have any existing infrastructure to tag onto, I would consider using a mesh network. You would need each piece of equipment to have defacto LOS to 1-2 other pieces of equipment. and something like these on each piece of equipment http://www.prosoft-technology.com/ip66/ <- NO IDEA on Cost.

Questions?
What other wireless frequencies are operating in the area? 900mhz? 2.4ghz? 5.4ghz? etc.
You don't want to stomp on existing freqs OR find your setup eating interference from them.
Line of sight issues?
What network is your OPC server sitting on? Will this be the same subnet as the PLCs, or will you need to route to/from it.
Is this a suitable network where the PLC traffic will not mix w/ non-process traffic? If no, Can you utilize VLAN segregation to isolate the traffic?

Thanks for your reply Dravik, I'm clearly going to need a lot more details and support from our IT group. This isn't actually my project so I'm getting their feedback second hand.

Thanks again,

Rob

It makes a lot of sense to get a consultant to come in and do a radio survey if you want the best peformance and reliability out of your wireless network system.

But you can do a lot on your own with a handful of simple (and mostly free) tools.

Find that D-Link WiFi Router. Don't plug it into the wired network, just put it in the place you're most likely to put your future central Access Point.

Download and install a utility from MetaGeek called "InSSIder". It's a nice passive WiFi signal strength monitoring tool. It should show you that D-Link transmitting away, and any other devices transmitting in the same WiFi spectrum.

Now take a walk. Go put your laptop on top of the cabinet of each machine you want to monitor, and take some readings with InSSIder. Use screenshots, jot the signal levels down, whatever.

This walkaround process is going to give you a reasonable idea of the signal strength you can expect to see for a typical WiFi radio of consumer-grade output (it's very likely 100 milliwatts, you can check) with a small antenna.

If you find that there are no other WiFi networks running in the plant (you might find some you don't expect !) and that you have a reasonably good signal at each machine location, you can go to Phase 1 and buy and Access Point and some Clients.

Most consumer-grade devices these days are Access Points with Router and Firewall and other nifty things included. They don't perform the simpler task of being WiFi clients.

I am a big fan of Ubiquiti Networks wireless hardware. They're intended for the wireless ISP market and they have some incredibly powerful and durable high-end stuff, as well as inexpensive ones you can purchase online. Cyberguys is a good stocking retailer, but I buy from Metrix here in Seattle.

Ubiquiti's AirOS operating system happily switches between Access Point, Station (what I called a Client, above), Wireless Distribution System (WDS) Repeater, etc. It's really very simple and good.

An example of configuration an AirOS device as a Station (this is what you would do at each machine):

http://www.ubnt.com/wiki/AirOS-Quick_Setup_Guide

I would start with a PicoStation or two, make sure they work, and start building up from there. Maybe use a NanoStation as the central Access Point because of their bigger antennas.

I don't have any good experiences to share with mesh networking gear. Some of that's because I've seen only very inexpensive consumer-grade stuff, some because I was doing WiFi that needed more performance than the mesh hardware could deliver.

Before you start installing anything, you're also going to want to take another trip around to those control systems, this time with the open-source packet sniffer Wireshark installed. Plug into any unused port on the local switch and start sniffing traffic. If you see a lot of Multicast traffic, you know that there are EtherNet/IP I/O or Producer/Consumer transactions going on and that the local switch isn't correctly constraining them. If that happens, don't hook up this machine to the WiFi system or you'll end up flooding it with unnecessary traffic. Come on back and folks will talk you through it.

If it were me, I would do an evaluation phase where you install just the Access Point and one Station in the most remote location, and do some real-world throughput and packet-loss detection.

To recap: INSSIDER utility, D-Link up in the rafters, do a walkaround. Easy, non-technical, and makes you look like some sort of WiFi wizard to the boss, 'cause you're about to ask him for a case of WiFi hardware.

Last edited:
If you have to go the cheapo route and use consumer grade stuff you can flash most store purchased routers,AP,Etc. With DD-WRT or Tomato which turns a consumer grade piece of hardware into something better with the features and controls found in high end gear.

Ken, I can't thank you enough for that thorough reply, that's an invaluable help getting me started. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Rob

While I agree with Ken on Ubiquiti I’ve found that you need to be very technically skilled if you run into any problems as their support is “less than stellar” and they have zero experience in the industrial automation world. Another option is Zcomax. Their support is much better however they aren’t experienced with automation equipment so the support is limited. I think this is a case of pay now so you don’t pay later. FreeWave, ProSoft, Data-Linc Group and Esteem all have options in some fashion that will work. I prefer FreeWave in general but there solution will be a little complicated as far as PLC programming is concerned. With that said they do have someone who knows the PLC (specifically Rockwell) world very well and would be able to help you set up the system. They hands down have the most reliable solution and because their equipment operates in the 900 Mhz frequency range it won’t cause problems for you IT department (it won’t interfere with or use WiFi frequencies).