how the scada package handels the I/O ?

ayman metwally

Lifetime Supporting Member
hi ,

I design my own scada software using visual basic ( and of course i use an independant OPC server )

and my question is about the scada package :
does it contain an embedded OPC server inside of it to handel the I/Os or We have to purchase an OPC server ( not only the scada package ) ?

thanks for the replies .

if my question is not clear , then i will repeat it in other words :

Do i have to purchase an OPC server when Iam aiming to use a scada package or not ?

thanks

about SCADA

hi ,

I'm sorry that i cant answer your question.But I want to ask something

What do I nedd to write a SCADA software that monitors severeal PLC's.
can you tell me ?
plz assume that I dont have any info about SCADA and PLC's
and what is OPC pls ?

Re: about SCADA

tguclu said:
hi ,

I'm sorry that i cant answer your question.But I want to ask something

What do I nedd to write a SCADA software that monitors severeal PLC's.
can you tell me ?
plz assume that I dont have any info about SCADA and PLC's
and what is OPC pls ?

You may be biting off more than you can chew if you try to write a SCADA package without a basic knowledge of these things. To gather data from a PLC network you need to understand the PLC communications protocol, PLC memory addressing, serial communcations, PC programming, and so on and so on.

OPC is OLE for Process Control. OLE is Object Linking and Embedding. These are drivers used to exchange data between programs in a Windows environment.

Hi tguclu ,

Sorry if my response is too late as I did not notice your reply until today !

** And about your question :

As Tom says , I think my friend that you – at first - have to be familiar with PLC before learning about writing SCADA using visual basic .

Then you must know about PLC's communications protocol (e.g Modbus )
www.modbus.org

you must know what is a protocol at first .. Search about it .

Then you must be familiar with visual basic , I believe that it is the best programming language for automation .

You may read this book "SAMS,Teach your self visual basic in 21 days"

It is a very good book , you may also read the company's book about data base ( for me I did not read it )

Note : you do not have to be an expert in visual basic .

After you collect these knowledge you may go for a company that provides special activex controls for automation and scada stuff ( you can download demo in most cases )

Search by google and you 'll find a lot of them ( I use Adlink's active x controls "DAQbench" )

** About OPC :

You can find information about it here : www.opcfoundation

And we can say in brief that OPC technology made the life easier as you do not have to learn the PLC's/device communications protocol in details to achieve the communications successfully .
I believe that : (( Visual basic 6 + OPC >= powerful & low cost SCADA package ))

I hope I gave you information that you need

Ayman

you give the answer

Ayman
As you are going to build your own scada you should purchase an OPC server to be linked to this Scada
You your Self give the answer in your last Post
I believe that : (( Visual basic 6 + OPC >= powerful & low cost SCADA package ))

Best Luck (y)

Re: you give the answer

hesham said:
Ayman
As you are going to build your own scada you should purchase an OPC server to be linked to this Scada
You your Self give the answer in your last Post
Best Luck (y)

Hessam ,( alsalm alikom ) = egyptian words , only Hessam can understand )

you didnot get me my friend , I am asking about SCADA package , does it contain a built in OPC server ?

I already know that i have to purchase an OPC server if I am going to use Visual basic to write SCADA software . ( and maybe i donot have to , there are other alternatives )

but What about the package ?

i mean it will be so expensive to spend the money on the package "per-installation" + OPC server

Thanks for your reply , i hope a hear from you soon .

Ayman

Last edited:
After a little researches on the internet i found that " It depends" from Package to another . ( Was these previos words in English ??!! )

Last edited:
i got you

alikom alslam Ayman
i got you,and as you find in the web it depends,you can purchase the SCADA software without the OPC server.
Me my self i did it before.I bought the scada software from wonderware and used with it Schneider OPC server
good luck