Ethernet and Devicenet in the same pipe.

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
OK I have a job where they want to add Distributed I/O. To a system that has DeviceNet . They want to use Ethernet I/O to keep the robots on DNet separate from any other I/O l.
So does anyone any reasons why I can't put a Ethernet cable and DeviceNet cable in the same conduit?

Totally fine. The frequencies are far apart and the power that you can put through a DNet cable is limited so it can't induce any noise on the Ethernet.

Can we say the same thing for Profinet?

I would say yes. We have DeviceNet, EtherNet and ProfiNet routed in the same pipes without any issues. I am always more concerned about keeping them away from Power Circuits, especially VFD and Motor Feeds.

Stu.....

There is the usual caution about running E-net in long metallic conduits. I've gotten away with it on short (< 30ft, 10m) conduit runs, but metallic conduit attenuates E-net. If you must use metallic conduit and the conduit run is long then you should use shielded E-net cable.

Thanks guys I didn't think it would be a problem but wanted to ask the gurus.

Alaric I didn't think of using shielded cables. I have had nothing but bad experiences with shielded ethernet cables

Alaric,

Please elaborate on your comment about keeping your non shielded ENET cunduit runs under 30'?

We have many installations with multiple ENET networks with all conduit runs way over 30' and have not noticed any problems.

Is there something specific that you have seen that we should be looking for?

Aleric:

That is the first I have heard of a problem in running Ethernet in Metal Conduit. I do it all the time, and have never noticed a problem. Plus we use the Armoured Teck Ethernet Cable as well, which I would think would be similar.

Can you post a reference on this, so I can educate myself further?

Stu....

If the conduit itself is not grounded i can see problem arising. But if it is grounded, it works just like extra shield.

Usually you can use different fieldbus cables near to each other, cant see any reason not to try. When using shielded ethernet cables (or other cables that need shield grounded at both ends) remember to run earth too.

See page 2-9 of http://www.ethernetip.de/downloads/files/enet-in001a-en-p.pdf

AB recommends to always use shielded cables in metallic conduit without a conduit length specified, but I routinely run unshielded through EMT conduits up to about 30 feet. The metallic conduit attenuates the data signal, especially at higher speeds - but attenuation also takes distance. If the conduit is short then don't bother because terminating shielded Cat5 is a PITA.