OT: Backups

The Plc Kid

Quick question of opinion. When making backups for lines made up of several different pieces of oem equipment is it best to make a folder for the line and have all plc backups inside or make one for each piece of equipment?

Just wanted to see how others handle that.

We generally just backup the live directory with our nightly server backup routine. Nothing special about doing them. That way the structure stays the same and everyone knows where to find everything.

A folder per line is the neatest way to do it, especially if the lines have similar machines.I recently backed some plcs and grouped them by manufacturer/series, so the S7, S5, Hitachi etc are together as all our lines are different.

I have one word of caution, though (Well, seven). Be careful who has access to them!!

Last edited:
I provide support for approx 45 different plants. I have a folder per plant, then a folder per machine within the plant folder.

These are also on our live directory, so it's backed up daily.