Panelview plus to Twido via e/net

iant

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Panelview plus to Twido via e/net
I have been given this easy task - has anyone doen this before
Is there any known traps? appart from dont do it.
Other screen options have been knocked back by customer.

OK

I'll Answer IT
use the KEPSERVER
this has the drivers for many other PLC's
Ethernet or Serial
U need FVSE 5.1 or higher
Still doing the job - looks easier now

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I just found the post. Did you ever do it? Apparently, I'm about to try it. In the KEPServer driver list, I didn't see any that jumped out at me to be suited for the Twido platform. Maybe the Square d driver? Any info that you could "throw" my way would be appreciated.
A little about me.. I am decent with AB products (5, 500, 5000, pb32, rs view 32, ftview me & se). My experience is very limited with siemens, automation direct, and Schnider/twido/telemechanique.
A little about my project I have a twido controller (TWDLMDA20DRT) and an ethernet add-on module for it (499TDO1100). I need a HMI to talk to this PLC. I have a "donor" pv600 that I could use for "free". But I will have to figure out how to configure it to talk to the Twido. Or I could talk managment into investing in a Magelis touch screen and get vijeo designer. Of course while this option Is built to work together, I would have to install and learn another HMI software suite.
I can see either option as a learning opportunity. Any advice on which I should pursue? Pros and cons? Are either one of these options impossible (I might be missing something big)?

Again, any advice or stories from experience are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Billy

yes
welcome to the site
using FTVME V6.1 and Kepware V4.5 a the time
set up with modbus over E/Net

I don't know the Twido controllers, but I've used the KepServer Enterprise drivers and PanelView Plus to do a few Modbus RTU and Modbus/TCP applications.

Does that Ethernet module give the Twido Modbus/TCP protocol connectivity ? Or is it just a 'virtual serial port' device ?

Make sure your FactoryTalk View Studio computer has KepServer Enterprise on it, and experiment a little with the Modbus or Modbus/TCP drivers.

sorry so long ago I had forgotten
this is the E/net used for the site
the Modbus is still needed though.
This PLC Job also had additional Modbus and Canopen Bus
so had to open it up to remember.

Enet.JPG

I don't know the Twido controllers, but I've used the KepServer Enterprise drivers and PanelView Plus to do a few Modbus RTU and Modbus/TCP applications.

Does that Ethernet module give the Twido Modbus/TCP protocol connectivity ? Or is it just a 'virtual serial port' device ?

Make sure your FactoryTalk View Studio computer has KepServer Enterprise on it, and experiment a little with the Modbus or Modbus/TCP drivers.
Kepware will use the full E/Net Modbus - not serial
I dont have a copy of the kepware setup

Wow! I didn't expect such a quick response! I'd like to thank both of you for taking the time to share your knowlege, experience and documentation with someone who just "dropped" in to ask a rather obscure question. I do appreciate it.

Having thought it through, and listened to the two of you discussing the communication, I believe I am going to at least try both solutions. If I can get the pv600 to talk to the twido, that would be a great learning experience that I might apply to other applications on down the road. I have never used the kep server before.

The other option of using the schnider magelis with vijeo designer sounds like it might also be worth investing some time into. I think the experience would show me a different way of thinking from what I have been accustomed to.

I will post the sucesses/failures as they happen. I will try to make some progress this week, as next week I will be traveling. In the event that you don't hear from me within 2 weeks, don't give up, I'm just working on other projects.

Again, thanks!

Billy

no worries Billy
I had to learn all this when I did it.
Haven't programed the Magelis.
the only reason they customer used PV was because that was their standard.

Funny
AB is their standard

they have
AB
Omron
Siemens
Advantech
Proface
Twido
- no longer with Magelis HMI
- the Magelis had problems so the operator put a shifter through it.
- Found this when I checked the E/Net cable (2 loose connections)
I sub-contract to them - was not my fault