RS Logix 5000 (NOT RESPONDING)

SeanLee

I just upgraded to ver 19.11
and i updated a controller from ver 16 to 19
and now when i am online it comes up NOT RESPONDING :mad:
all the time

anyone else have this problem?

Does this happen while you're transitioning to Online mode, or just at different times when you're online ?

I get a "lockup" that includes RSLogix 5000 showing a (Not Responding) when I try to perform a "Go Online" operation when the project was copied from a co-worker's computer with a different Online Path saved as the Project Path.

What's going on is that RSLogix 5000 has brought RSWho to the control foreground and cannot proceed until RSWho chooses an Online Path. If the last Online Path was pointed to a network or controller that's not currently online, you can wait a couple of minutes for the RSWho browse to time out.

This isn't unique to v19; I've seen this with every version of RSLogix 5000 I've used. It might be more pronounced with my system because I'm using RSLogix 5000 in an XP virtual machine hosted on a Windows 7 Professional PC, so there are multiple network bridge layers for RSWho to deal with.

This may have nothing to do with your system, but I thought I'd share.

I did that this morning. I got no problems. I got to do several things:
- Update my plc processor(compactlogix L32E) firmware. It took 3 steps. I did it thru ethernet.
- Update my plc software from v 16 to v 19, just change controller properties on rslogix5k from v16 to v19.
- update rslinx, depending on your version, either get new eds from ab support or get new eds from updated plc (eds from plc).

is your processor responding to ping ???

Does this really happen when you have a program open, and then go online with the processor? Or does it hang when you try to open a program. My system can take 15 to 20 minutes when opening a program if it has to switch versions.

My system can take 15 to 20 minutes when opening a program if it has to switch versions.

Even a modest PC with minimum memory switches versions in less than 20 seconds !

What system are you running ?
Perhaps you need to throw on some more coal....

It happens when I'm online working
As i change windows (change from controller tags to a routine)
the transition takes 30 to 45 sec

If i change a tag it takes a long time allow me to enter the tag name

since we're still in the hunting-and-looking stage ...

just for the heck of it – check under "Controller Properties" for the "Advanced" tab ... what value do you have set for "System Overhead Time Slice?" ... (I think that 20% is the default) ...

this is probably just a wild goose chase – but it won't take long to check – and it MIGHT somehow be related ...

Overhead time Slice is 10%

As Ron mentioned, the default Overhead Time Slice is 20%. Try changing the 10% to 20%, and see if it makes any difference. Keep in mind it may have been changed previously because of time critical routines in the PLC Program.

Stu....

If you are considering increasing the System Overhead Timeslice, make sure you check the option to give back unused timeslice to normal processing.

This enables the processor to return to user-program processing when "system" tasks are completed, rather than sitting waiting doing nothing for the remainder of the allocated timeslice period.

On large projects with heavy SCADA comms, I have had the timeslice as high as 65%.

Consideration of how the external systems access tag data is also important. Use Arrays, UDTs, and UDT Arrays whenever possible, as most comms drivers will perform some form of optimisation, reading and writing tag data in bigger "chunks", instead of individually.

This is a complete shot in the dark, but based on past experience at a customer site.

If this is a ControlLogix (1756) platform and you have a very old version of firmware (less than V3) on the 1756-ENBT that could be the issue (the issue is usually triggered by an HMI with the older firmware on the ENBT).

======================================

Never mind, reread your other comment about the issue happens when changing views in RSLogix 5K when online. That really sounds more like a software/computer/hardware issue. How much available RAM on your PC do you have when you are online with the processor. Also, have you checked the available memory in the processor when you are online? Sometimes when you update over multiple generations like that, a program that was marginal in memory on the ControlLogix may struggle after the update, due to some of the tag structure changes and additional improvements (overhead) added to the ControlLogix OS.

To check the processor memory when online, right click on the top folder in the Controller Organizer and select Properties... Once that is open, select the memory tab. This can be different than the offline estimate due to communication overhead from HMIs, data collection, messaging, etc. Also, if you have not loaded it you should also load and run the RSLogix Task Monitor Tool. Sometimes it can uncover some issues you were unaware of. It looks like 2.4.0 is still the latest version http://www.rockwellsoftware.com/support/download/detail.cfm?ID=3836

Darren

Last edited:
Thanks for the help
I did find the issue.

There was a HP Security Software that was
causing issues with port access on V17 and V19

Thanks for the help
I did find the issue.

There was a HP Security Software that was
causing issues with port access on V17 and V19

Thanks for coming back and letting us know the outcome Sean.

That information might help someone down the road.

Stu....

Last edited: